Thread: Need help on Home/Office Router and Switch Configuration

Need help on Home/Office Router and Switch Configuration

Hi guys

I was looking for the help on the configuration for setting up with many devices together with the wire and the wireless and that must be set on to the budget . at present I have 2 internet connection out of which one is for home and one is for office on the same place . The problem Is the home connection is gone worst that will be solved in few month but in mean while I want to use the office connection at the home . I have the business line is a modem with a built-in wireless router which has the 4-Ports in the back for Ethernet. I am planning to run the CAT5 cable from it to my flat 50 meters away which will be connected to the 16-Port Switch and that I need to connect stuff like gamming console , computer running on XP, Wireless Router and all and I need wireless router for the laptops, phones and tablet . Can anyone here advice me on this I would be really appreciating this

Thanks in advance

Re: Need help on Home/Office Router and Switch Configuration

Well as far as I know the maximum length for the CAT5e cables is 100 meters listed and you need it for 50 meter that is well within reach so you should not have the problem with that . I need to advice you to consider the amount of traffic on that switch.

Thanks for reply so early , I like to mention that I have brought any kind of switch, cabling or any hardware yet. I just have the PLDT modem/router that the ISP has given and the Wi-Fi Router , so I was thinking any one from here assist me on what to buy for this purpose

Thanks

You have lised the correct network set up that will works, its just that you haven’t configured wireless router as a access point. I am at this point not able to advice you on what brand/model of equipment and layout you should get but I would like to recommend you the depth for pipe/cable underground

Well you have to make sure that you get the good quality CAT5e/CAT6 cable(s). and to configure the router as an access point is depend on the brand/model router. so you have to do some research before purchase on the router that the router can function as a access point

Most switches can use full duplex mode. Communication is then bi-directional, doubling the maximum transfer rate. A Switch automatically checks if the attached device supports full or half duplex. This feature is often included under the term " Auto Negotiation ". The use of switch reduces collisions on the network cabling. When a device wants to communicate, it sends a message on the wiring. If another device is already communicating, are found two messages simultaneously over the network causing a collision. The first takes his message at the beginning and the second waits to retry a few milliseconds later. There are (in theory) no limitations on the number of cascaded switches on a network.

It would be better to put your modem router in ROUTER mode with DHCP enabled it will be easier for the network configuration that does not depend on the post with XP. So your router will be connected to the PLC and post XP (with 2 network cable) if the modem to an integrated or you switch to the branch post XP on the second RJ45 port of the PLC (the port number varies from one model to another so it can also act as switch!). Now is it that you can put a switch after a CPL? I think so, if you've already done a similar network you can take the test without any facts

There have so far recognized two types of switch: the switch of level 2 (works like a bridge of several doors) and the Level 3 (functions as a router hardware oriented). Layer 4 switch performs packet switching taking into account the socket (IP address and TCP / UDP port). This way you can have access to the type of service (layer application) and perform (QoS policy) traffic more accurately.