Thread: Windows 7 BSOD due to ZoneAlarm

Windows 7 BSOD due to ZoneAlarm

There are multiple problems in my windows 7 computer. The first problem is with the BSOD when the Zone Alarm ES installed. The system shows frequent BSODs and stop error UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f) and the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f). The Windows Debugger indicates first error has a problem with NETIO.SYS and the second error indicates as problem with the Rt64win7.sys. In my case the second error is regarding the REALTEK PCIe GBE Family Network Controller (NIC) driver. The driver are update. The problem is only due to the Zone Alarm. If I uninstall it, it will not show any error.

Re: Windows 7 BSOD due to ZoneAlarm

The error might be indicating that you need to disabling NetBios on DHCP server (TCP/IPv4). To do this in Windows 7:
    • Click Start> Control Panel> Network and Internet> View network status and tasks> Change adapter settings.
    • In there Right-click Local Area Connection?> Properties.
    • Now you will see the “This connection uses the following items” list
    • Make a double-click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”> Advanced> WINS tab.
    • Click “Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP” > click OK three times.
    • After this I didn’t get a single BSOD so far.

What you wanna tell actually?

Do you mean by NETBIOS over TCP?

As far as I know that if you disable the TCP/IP, it will kill the internet connection. There is no effect on the BSOD, if you disable the NETBIOS over TCP/IP. This procedure is just meant for to avoid malware infections so that it will not take the advantage of OS vulnerabilities.

If you are getting BSOD, then you can go for system restore from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Restart your computer and press F8 while booting the system. Now there choose the “Repair Your Computer” to start WinRE. There you will get an option to make system restore. If there is no system restore point or Windows 7 does not allow the system restore, then it is better to uninstall the ZoneAlarm completely before going for the system restore. You don’t need to disable NetBios on DHCP server since the issue not caused by the vsdatant.sys.

While I have searching about the driver file vsdatant.sys, I have found that this fine is related to the Cisco VPN client. The reports says that vsdataant.sys BSOD caused by the conflicts between ZoneAlarm and other firewall. If you really want to fix the issue, try this:
    • First of all get rid of the Remove the Cisco VPN client as well as the additional firewall program.
    • Also remove the vsdatant.sys and vsruledb.dll files.
    • After this, your computer works normally.
    • Reinstall the Cisco VPN client, and test again with Firewall installed once.

Cause of every issue is due to the corrupted or missing files. If I want to tell it more specifically, it could be due o the missing or corrupted registry files. These are essential file which will tell the OS or software what and how to work. Usually they are configuration files. If those get corrupted, then there is obvious BSOD.

If the system registry files, messed up. This usually happens when you partially uninstalled or removed the software from the system. Sometime the un-installation will not able to remove registry files those are related to the program. When new version installed, there could be a mix up causing this system does not able to recognize which one is the proper one. In order to remove those unnecessary registry entries, you have to run the registry scan software.