Thread: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Scan freezes at 33%

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Scan freezes at 33%

There is a strange problem with my Zone Alarm Extreme Security (version 10.0.241.000). The virus scan starts perfectly but then it freezes at 33% and shows file count stopped. If I restart the scan, it again resulted in33%. The system is HP dv9820us laptop, running Windows 7 x64. What to find a solution for this failure.

Re: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Scan freezes at 33%

First of you all you should try the ZA software along with Virus signature database. Make sure that both update are different. Update of ZA software to the new version will not revise the virus database. Someway update or signature database will not update the Entire software. However if you are going to update the ZA software, then do not directly update. It would be better, if you remove the previous version first and download the latest app directly from the official software. While doing this make sure that no other security programs installed and running.

Personally, I have found that this Zone Alarm Extreme Security product is really not the perfect one for my needs. I don’t want any additional antivirus or antispyware or a sandbox. It is really easy to rely on the Windows firewall. I know that ZA has a good firewall but as the antivirus, it is not the perfect one for my needs.

I have heard that some cheap third party security software always cause such problem and mainly due to the compatibility issue. They offer only some controls to customize the settings and it will surely going to lower the overall security. In my case the Windows firewall does not have any compatibility issues and I can easily bypass in it if anything wrong occurs. So my advice is to get rid of the ZoneAlarm and use any quality firewall or Windows Firewall.

95% of the problem is only related to automatic updates and corrupted ZA settings. The corruption occurs due to the incomplete update or failure. Sometimes due to the virus attack also. If there are any corrupted files, you need to manually remove ZA files and also do not try to restore any previously saved ZA settings. As far as I know that ZA will not work in SAFE MODE. No Firewall is capable to run in SAFE MODE or SAFE MODE with Networking.

Have you tried resetting the ZA settings, this way:
    • First of all press and hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    • Now find the ZA icon on Taskbar and Right click on it.
    • Select 'Reset' from the box. It will show up the Reset Settings dialog box
    • In that you need to select “yes” and then OK to restart your system
    • Go through all the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Did you try the virus scan in "Safe Mode with Networking". Reboot your system in this mode and see:
    • First of all disconnect internet just for safe
    • Reboot and press F8 function key during boot up.
    • Select the "Safe Mode with Networking"
    • Once booted manually launch ZA , if it is not able to start automatically.
    • You will see the ZA icon on the system tray, run your AV Scan
    • After the completion of scan, reboot the system in Normal mode.
    • Again run the AV Scan in normal mode and see what happens then.

You have to uncheck the file within ZA antivirus/antispyware section (advanced options --> scan targets). Seems like the scan stuck at one file and cannot move on. You need to manually skip the scan on that file to move toward next one. It can solve the problem.

Moreover compare the AV signature DAT file number with current published one. If the number matches, then there is no problem with the virus signature database. If the system is infected by malware or rootkits, then the issue looks like the HDD, files or partition freezing and does not allow accessing the file while scanning.