Thread: Space Utilized still after VVOL Release and Pool delete

Space Utilized still after VVOL Release and Pool delete

There is a bit doubt on the operation I am doing. I had found that even after vvol release and deleting the pool volume there is a space utilized. I thought this might be freed up completely after removing the pools. Is this a issue. I am just concerned with the space utilized by pool and I am also a bit sure about vvols association with the pool volume. Any solution is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Space Utilized still after VVOL Release and Pool delete

I had noticed a similar issue while releasing the vvols. Thought there will be nothing utilized after doing the same. But there is some space which is still used and it shows that the process is not done properly. Actually it might take a bit time to completely sort the things. So without worry out for the same I wlil recommend you just keep a close watch on the same.

There is a process called as zero page reclaim. This just forces to empty the space and I think this will be cleaner to do. You can see a number of improvements under this and especially for thin copies when you are planing to move or migrate or replicate, etc. The pages are simply striped round the various disk in hdp pool. Zero page reclaim can help you to get back the empty space and a number of improvements. I had seen some blogs on web which shows the improvements as per servers use. Try to have a look on the same on internet which can satisfy you more.

Zero Page Reclaim is a process which being discussed by many. It is just a process of dynamically re-balancing the distribution of page inside a Pool. So if this sound good to you, you can use it.

I do not support to use Zero Page Reclaim after a decommission. You might know about decommission. ZPR is basically used to get the pool capacity from Logical Unit Numbers. This are still deployed on the network. The thing which you are trying to do simply means that you are trying to maintain a kind of amount for the space. There are many other steps that can be used to reclaim a pool capacity. There are many steps involved in it and this will led to major changes in your network. Better leave the same as it is if there is no major space used. You can ignore the same, or simply consult any expert for the same.

I am not sure that my answer fits here or not. But I might recommend you to have a look for HP XP Thin Provisioning Software. There are some features in this tool which is worth to read. First it gives you better performance with dynamic pool re-balancing. The storage utilization is quiet improve here. You can simply initiated pool space reclamation process without any much effort. The space efficiency is quiet improved here with Zero-data page reclaim if one on regular or remote volumes.

I will too go with HP XP Thin Provisioning Software. It is really worth to play with the pool volumes. But it is recommended that you must opt new technologies for better functioning. I had linked a guide by IBM on deleting a storage pool volume. You can refer the same for more info.
    DELETE VOLUME (Delete a storage pool volume)

I do not think this is any serious thing to concern about. When you release the vvol from a pool the it simply goes via zero-scrub operation. Here all the pages are written back again and the it returns back in the pool itself. This is the empty page list. Talking about the space utilized, just keep a watch on the size it was before and the size appear after releasing vvol.