Thread: How to set Cisco Linksys E420 wireless router as Access Point mode?

How to set Cisco Linksys E420 wireless router as Access Point mode?

I have purchased Cisco Linksys E420 wireless router. I am looking to set up this particular router as Access Point. So far there is no way to doing the same. But let me know if you are aware of doing any way to doing that? If you are having useful information about the same then feel free to comment over here.

Re: How to set Cisco Linksys E420 wireless router as Access Point mode?

I do agree that Linksys E4200 not having access point mode but you can make it to behave as an access point. In order to do the same you will need to access the web menu and you should turn off the DHCP server. You have to set IP address in same range that of LAN which you are having.
    Once done you will need to connect Ethernet port to the router of yours to the LAN. i have made the same router working as AP. But major drawback is you will need to login into web interface then change the IP address settings on the computer and login on the router through wireless network.

You will need to think about the network architecture and about the roles and functions which are supposed to be played the by the network router of yours. in case Cisco has included an Access Point in the router then you should just hang with the existing network which you are having and it will work as a access point. Right now the firmware of this particular router would allow you to work as a wireless router.

If you are getting can't access web management portal error message then you will need to enable remote management. After enabling that you will see your device in Network browse. You have to access the device by using the IP address and provide the LAN IP address. You should enable remote web management from the Administration page.

To get your router work as access point you will need to upgrade the firmware of the router to 1.0.02 or upper. You should go for Setup tab and simply switch to network type to Bridge mode.