Thread: External Hard Drives that work with the Linksys E4200

External Hard Drives that work with the Linksys E4200

Hi friends, recently I have bought the new Cisco Linksys E4200. So I am very much happy with this routers, there are many advanced features are present in this routers. As I am new to these routers I just want to know more about this, so the main thing that I wish to know about these routers which are the External Hard Drive that supports this Cisco Linksys E4200 and which one will be best for this,because i wish to buy one external HD for this router. If you guys have any information or any other ideas for this then please let me know. Any reply will be thanks and appreciated

Re: External Hard Drives that work with the Linksys E4200

According to my information these are the following list of External Hard Drive that are compatible with Cisco Linksys E4200.
    • Iomega eGo 500 GB
    • Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini (160 GB)
    • Maxtor One Touch III (750 GB)
    • Western Digital 1.5 TB
    • My Book Essential 3 TB
    • Samsung S2 Portable (500 GB)
    • Samsung HM160HI 160 GB
    • Seagate 750 GB

The Maxtor One Touch 4 of 500 GB is one of the external hard drives which works fine with this wireless router and also I have seen that it shows the best result with these wireless routers. And the best is to get the latest hard drives which provide the better functionality with this Wireless Routers and which supports the latest firmware.

I am using Western Digital, and I have seen that this is one of the best External Hard Drive for this wireless routers. Still I have not seen the single issue with this external HD and this is one of the best External hard Drives I have seen which support this Cisco Linksys E4200. So you should get this and always try to make use of updated driver to make this Hard Drive to work without any issue.

Hi friends I have bought Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini, but however I just try to connect it with my Cisco Linksys E4200, at starting it works fine but after some time it shows some error for not detecting this External Hard Drives. I have reconnected this Hard Drive but however getting same result, so why this happens? What should I do to overcome this issue? Any ideas or solution for this issue is thanks. Grateful for any suggestions as to what may cause this problem or how to solve it.

Hi friends I have bought Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini, but however I just try to connect it with my Cisco Linksys E4200, at starting it works fine but after some time it shows some error for not detecting this External Hard Drives. I have reconnected this Hard Drive but however getting same result, so why this happens? What should I do to overcome this issue? Any ideas or solution for this issue is thanks. Grateful for any suggestions as to what may cause this problem or how to solve it.
    May be you are using the old version of firmware so upgrade with the latest firmware. So try to make use of the latest upgrade of firmware, and also if you’re using previous version then upgrade your firmware. This will may help you to overcome this issue.

According to my suggestion ‘iomega ego 500gb’ is the best portable harddrive which can be used for this purpose. I am using the same hard drives and still have not seen any issue with this external drives. So according to my suggestion iomega ego will be the best one.

sad Re: External Hard Drives that work with the Linksys E4200

I recently Purchased a WD 1TB Passport Essential SE with the intent of using it as a network backup drive for several home computers. I had no difficulty connecting to the Linksys E4200 and Windows 7 easily found it and I was able to map it.
    My problem started with the WD supplied backup software "WD Smartware". Once installed the only Tabs available were "Home" and "Help".
    The "Backup", "Restore" and "Settings" tabs were grayed out. I tried uninstalling reloading the software to no avail. I contacted WD tech support and was informed that while the Passport is "compatible" with the E4200, "WD Smartware" is only designed to be used when the drive is installed as a LOCAL drive and cannot be used with this type of network application. Very disappointing, I wanted to be able to use their backup software to automatically take care of my systems. Guess I'll check out Seagate.

Yes it is confirmed that the the WD my passport "Elite" was confirmed as compatible in NTFS format, but the "essential" apparenlty does not work- even though it is nearly the same HD. Even I am dissapointed that linksys does not have a larger list of HD's confirmed to work with this router.

My disappointment is not so much with Linksys, as it is with WD and the WD Smartwares inability to work with a USB drive connected to the E4200.