Thread: Multiple Wireless controller failure at one time

Multiple Wireless controller failure at one time

I am using 3 different controller with different types of model, capacity, version and configurations. Also I had bought new controller which is having support for APs. Suppose WLC_A is having capacity of 25 APs and provides 20 APs, WLC_B is having capacity for 12 APs and it caters 12APs. WLC_C is having support for 50 but it is catering only 30APs. The new controller which I have bight say WLC_NEW is having support for 100 and 18 APs are catered by it. what will I need if three of older controllers are failover to the WLC_NEW? Provided that it is having different version as well as configuration????

Re: Multiple Wireless controller failure at one time

After going through the problem of yours I wanted to tell you that you should try with the different profile name with the SSID with the different types of the security implemented.
    To do the same you will need to take care of the following thing.

You have to create unique name for the each and every WLAN.

As there are multiple WLAN with same SSID with the same amount of AP radio than you should have unique Layer 2 security policy . this particular thing will help the clients to select different WLAN.

In order to deal with failover WLC into the same build and same config.. you will need to have some specific configuration for every single AP into different WLC. Also you can give a try to with the different type of AP-groups.

Qid
    Can you provide an idea on the below mentioned WLAN?
    WLC_A
    SSID: Guest
    Security: none
    VLAN: 20 SW_A

WLC_B
    SSID:Guest
    Security:web auth
    VLAN: 40 SW_B

WLC_NEW
    Security:WPA_PSK
    VLAN: 20 SW_NEW

I wanted to know where is SSID guest on WLC_A and VLAN is 20? For the WLC_B it is VLAN 40? For the guest network I am having vlan 20. Where will be AP clients on the respected VLAN in case all the AP are seems to failover? Is there any switching on local Switches when the APs are connected? Post your comment on the same over here.

If you are encountered with the AP failover then the clients will get the IP address from the respective WLAN interface into the new WLC who are joining. I wanted to know whether you are having same vlan with the different kind of the IP address. vlan 40 into wlc_A with the one ip range and vlan 40 into the wlc_new will have the totally different new IP range.

You are absolutely right I am having same VLAN 40 but the IP range is different and different part of the network which is traversing through the WAN. Also if I am not wrong I need to have the same version of the OS for WLC, am I right????

You will need to upgrade or downgrade your AP dependent on the WLC which you are supposed to connect. If an AP is supposed to move towards the different WLC then all the users are supposed to get the new ip address from the area where the WLC is residing. The IP address of the users will not stay as it is.
    For eg when a user is supposed to roam from one WLC to the another then it will break and it will take lots of time to access the SSID. Why this is happening because you have changed the security method. You cannot apply the different type of the security profiles on the single client.

Well you will require to define the wireless requirements. If you wanted to have the same SSID and security method and there will be dynamic interfaces into the same subnet. You will need to setup in following manner.
    WLC_A
    SSID: Guest
    Security: WebAuth
    VLAN: 20 SW_A
    10.20.10.20/24

WLC_B
    Security:WebAuth
    VLAN: 20 SW_B

WLC_NEW
    Security:WebAuth
    VLAN: 20 SW_NEW
    The above mentioned thing let you user to roam in between different WLC.

You have to get the redundant WLC for the every single site. Well the Failing over to the WLC which are located at the different location will need the devices to obtain the dhcp address from the every single. There is no way where you can users keep ip address in case the AP is joining the different kind of WLC which is located at the different location. You should have wlc as backup for each and every location. I wanted tell you that if you have kept the SSID and security method same then H-REAP will work since you map the SSID to the Local WLAN.

As you are having h-reap local switching on the WLAN SSID and h-reap mode then you will have an option on AP under of the h-reap tab which will let you to define the vlan for that particular AP. vlan mapping for the each and every SSID which you have enabled the h-reap. There is no issue which AP or WLAN do you are joined with. You have to take care of the thing that is WLAN should be secondary or tertiary .