Thread: What are the uses of server

What are the uses of server

I am very keen to gather information about computer. I need to know what is a server? And what are their uses?? Can anyone give me information about this relevant topic?? Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.

Re: What are the uses of server

A computer program which admits the requests of other programs,the clients are called as servers. Thus on behalf of clients server performs computational tasks. The clients connected would run on the same computer or other network. We can server as a hardware system which becomes host and runs one or more services.there are many types of servers:

• Database server
    • File server
    • Mail server
    • Print server
    • Web server.

Server is efficiently and largely used in information technology(IT).server have several versions like hardware, software and operating systems. A database server is a computer program that lends database services to other computer programs or computers, by client–server connection. For Instance, Oracle, DB2, Informix, Ingres, SQL Server, all are database servers used by many customers. All are not same , they differ in query logic and structure

File server is a part o server in which user can share the storage information on computer files such as documents, songs, images ,databases, etc to other network by providing location to a network. There is a connection between client and server to send and receive information. Mail server is an another part of server which is also called as mail transfer agent. It is a software that sends electronic mail messages from one system to another system using client-server application.

In Internet Protocol (IP) networking, a server acts as a program which operates as a socket listener or receiver. A print server is device that connects output devices like printers to the client computers over a network. Printer will act as a server. There are many examples in print server such as Internet Printing Protocol, Line Printer Daemon protocol, Microsoft Network Printing protocol, NetWare, NetBIOS/NetBEUI, or JetDirect.

A web server can be either computer which is hardware or the computer applications which is software. The web server helps to deliver content through software or hardware that can be accessed through internet.web servers usually host websites.web browser in web server initiates the communication and send a request using HTTP and after that web server responds quickly. In counter strike game we can make a web server and after that everyone can join the host and play the game as many as players can offer. I think the limit is 15.

Thanks a ton guys for giving me such relevant information about servers. I am highly obliged. Really appreciated.