Thread: Media Server/storage for HTPC

Media Server/storage for HTPC

There are almost 300 movies (Video_TS format) at my home along with some music, images etc. Currently my HTPC contain 2 HDD with 1TB and a 640gb respectively. Right now I am thinking about setting up a media server which is capable to stream movies or music from anywhere like on Home LAN or from internet when outside. I don’t know what the necessary things to consider are. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Media Server/storage for HTPC

Why build your own. Take an HP StorageWorks X510 Data Vault. The may be just what you want and then some.

Anyway, here's a solution with (almost) all the functions of storage, backup and sharing, locally and out: a Linux machine, configured to act as a server multimedia NAS with tuners TV, Web servers, and is supported when is also on the Internet. It remains to solve the upstream PBS:
    • Reading Bluray mutizone!!
    • Ripping the Bluray, DVD and CD audio, or creating ISO
    • Convert any format
    • Installation of slide show with background music and comments
    • Acquisition and installation videos.
    • Post-treatment photographs.

If we want to mention the TV tuner part and host web servers, A true NAS, with almost everything, and silence as a bonus.

Like Dell, 2PartsFusion configuration offers a complete turnkey, scalable, Digital Media Server - 701, allowing you to choose the components that are your HTPC. We thus find an X11 package Uneeda which are suggested as the basis of the HTPC. There is also a processor Athlon 64 3200 + on socket 939 and a motherboard chipset NVIDIA nForce 4 Ultra. Silverstone 400W fanless power supply and the CPU heatsink passive Silverstone. To top it off, the configuration has a Gigabit silent graphics card with a 6600GT chipset , a tuner card Hauppauge PVR 500 dual tuner , a remote Media Center 2005 as well as two SATA hard drive 80 and 200GB.

I thought this project for some time and I finally had the opportunity to achieve so I shared my experience.
    • I chose the Core i3 2105 for its content TDP (65W) and performance consistent with my needs.
    • The advantage of this solution lies among others in the graphic that is largely sufficient for reading Blu-Ray 3D Full HD and broadcast to a TV via HDMI 3D 1.4 of the motherboard. However next game it will be content with the basic
    • I opted for ASrock H67 for its support RAID, which allows me to do a RAID 1 for my data based Home Server
    • The Smart Teck EZ Plug, with power supply Offers three locations 3.5 "2 which are mounted on rack front accessible hot (ideal for RAID 1!)

I too agree with his project and it is really compatible for most of the work process. You are able to do anything at Home by sharing it.
    • Intel Core i3 2105
    • Motherboard ASROCK H67M-ITX/HT
    • RAM 2 x 2 GB G. Skill DDR3 PC10600 CL8 Ripjaws series
    • Teck Smart Case EZ Plug
    • System disk Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB
    • Disk Data 2 x Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB
    • Blu-Ray Samsung SH-B083L