Thread: desktop won't connect to internet

desktop won't connect to internet

I have an HP desktop running XP, that was working fine until mid-day yesterday. it is connected to a d-link router, and i'm using a motorola modem (if it matters).
    I can still connect wirelessly with my laptop, so I know the connection is ok, although the 'globe' on the router is orange.

I was in the middle of updating my kodak printer software when it stoppd and said it couldn't connect to the server. I had been using this printer for some time, I was just updating.

I have since reinstalled the printer (which for some reason was uninstalled when the update didn't complete).

when I look under device manager/network adapters, it lists 2: 1394 adapter and Realtek RTL8139. they both say 'this device is working properly'.

I have disconnect/reconnected everything.

I'm not sure what else I can troubleshoot...
    do I assume the network card is bad?

Re: desktop won't connect to internet

This is common issue with the router, have you tried to unplug the router and then replug ait fter about ten seconds. This way it should get reset and after that it will work normally as it should. If that doesnt work then do a factory reset of the router using the back button, hold down for 15-30 seconds and then set it again with the proper ip address.