Thread: Help with DHCP ethernet connection after virus removal

Help with DHCP ethernet connection after virus removal

I got a call from my aunt that her computer was not working. I checked it out and she had not had antivirus for over a year and a half, and has a daughter who cannot read english well but still managed to download games and other viruses on a weekly basis. I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and i thought that would fix the problem (it removed over 3000 things). The reason she called me was she had a virus message popping up for AV Protection, a rogue program that pretends to be an antivirus. I also tried to download kaspersky free version before i logged into her email account to get her free mcafee from att, but the install failed. After I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware the internet (connected via ethernet, its a HP PC pavillion a6440 runnings windows vista sp1) worked, after the failed installation of kaspersky the internet no longer works. I also tried to download mcafee from uverse, but the download failed.

My network problem is getting on the internet. My computer gives me a DHCP problem. I called att (they have uverse) and uverse said it is a problem with my computer everything is fine on their end. I connected to the uverse internet on my cellphone's wifi and that worked, so I know the ethernet connection should work. I took my aunts computer to my work and have it connected and it still will not connect.

When I try to open internet explorer and I do the diagnostics for the failure to connect it tries to reset the ip, get a new dhcp, and none of the vista diagnostics resolve the issue, they say call my isp, which I did and they could not help any further. I know when we looked at the ip (with the att person), it was not creating a proper ip address and instead had an ip that starts with 162. or 168. which they said was not correct.

Sorry I don't have specifics, the computer is in the middle of a scan with malwarebytes right now and its in safe mode so I cannot recreate the problems screens at the moment.

Please can someone steer me in the right direction? Thank you!
    Last edited by davegf; 07-12-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: incomplete title

Re: Help with DHCP ethernet connection after virus removal

For better safe then never, I will recommend you to completely wipe off the hard drive and do a fresh install. After that install all the required ethernet and graphics and chipset drivers and after completing the installation, just click on the network icon area. Then click on properties and search for internet protocol and click on it and click on property. You will come to an area where you have to input the ip address provided by your isp or if they provide dynamic ip's then click on to get the ip address and dhcp address automatically. Now check if internet is working properly or not.

1. How do I wipe the hard drive completely?
    2. If I can't get the ip address how do i do that?

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahL View Post
    1. How do I wipe the hard drive completely?
    2. If I can't get the ip address how do i do that?
    Take out your hard drive and connect it to some other pc then copy the important data to that same pc and then format it completely. After that create a new partition and install the operating system that you want, and install all drivers and call your isp for the ip address and put it in the location where I have said you in my previous post.