Thread: High CPU usage with WDFME.Exe

High CPU usage with WDFME.Exe

I have recently install the latest version of WD software in my computer. Everything seems to be working fine but last night when I was working on my system then I found out that WDFME.Exe process was using very high CPU and because of this my computer is working very slowly. Now I am not able to work on my computer properly, so if anyone can help me out then it will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: High CPU usage with WDFME.Exe

Are you by anymeans running WD Smartware, if yes, then it will be runing all the time since the program is doing continues backup. This Western Digital people have updated the software now and if you can get the latest version then there shouldnt be anything bad hitting the performance in your system. Also, it could be a virus problem so try to scan your pc with some good antivirus program and see if it removes the malware.

Re: High CPU usage with WDFME.Exe

Even I was facing the same problem and after that I also used to get blue screen of death. I have been using the Smartware for years now. After that the Windows Firewall in my started to shutdown and I was not able to stat Windiws. After searching for some solution I noticed that WDFME.Exe was taking upto 50% process of my processing CPU. So, I removed it completely from my pc and now everything seems to run fine.

It was noted that the old version of Smartware was supposed to be uninstalled first. And then to remove all its left over files, you should also download and install CCleaner. After that only try to get latest version of the Smartware software. To reinstall the latest version of Smartware, get it from this link - http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/.