Thread: Configuring features fails sql server setup

Configuring features fails sql server setup

I was installing the sql server and the installation fails while configuring features [SQL_Browser_Redist,]. Now when I am trying to install that again then it shows me a message that if you wish to install this patch then you will have to fix the previous operation that failed. This is the first time I am installing the sql server and hence have less idea about this. I will be very glad if someone can help me with this. So if you have something that can help me with this then please post that over here.

Re: Configuring features fails sql server setup

If there was a failure in the first installation then you must run the Repair first. If you want to do that then you must go to the Maintenance page from the SQL Server Installation Center and there you will get the Repair option. If you need to have more suggestion for this then you can contact to the MSDN and they will solve the problem for you.

If you are having the MSXML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 already installed in your system then you might get the issues like this. I also dont have much idea about this but you can have a look to this page and see if you can have some solution from there.

The restore operation may be used in the following scenarios:
    1. Restoring a SQL Server corrupted after installing it.
    2. Restoring an instance of SQL Server if the update operation was canceled or failed after the name of the instance mapping.
    3. If the log list displays the following message, you can reset the instance update failed.
      • Upgrading to SQL Server failed. To continue, locate the cause of the error, correct the problem, then repair the installation.
      • If the log list displays the following message, you must uninstall and reinstall SQL Server. You can not restore the instance of SQL Server.
      • Upgrading to SQL Server failed. To continue, locate the cause of the error and correct the problem.

During installation and administration of SQL Server 2000 you must keep in mind at all times the security of the server. This one of the most important tasks is the creation and control of users. The SQL Server is installed on Windows 2000 as a service and therefore it is necessary to assign a user to start the service and the SQL Server operates in that context security. This user will given the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent (Normally with the help of the same intended for both services) can be either the local system account otherwise domain account assigned

While creating the account, normally we select the second option and create an account in the domain specifically dedicated to the SQL Server because by that way the SQL Server can access files on other computers, planning work across multiple servers, backup locations network, send email notifications, make modifications to the registry etc. If you have not done it in this way then you might have issues like this.

I would like to tell you that the account that we created in the domain for SQL Server must have the following characteristics:
    • Member of local Administrators group,
    • On the attribute "Password never expires"
    • Allow log on every hour
    • Allow Logon as a service.

In addition to this we will need an account on the Exchange mail server if you want the SQL Server Agent can communicate.