Thread: Switching Dell Powerconnect 2724 to managed mode

Switching Dell Powerconnect 2724 to managed mode

I have a Dell Powerconnect 2724 in unmanaged mode. I know the quantity of traffic going to / from dissimilar IP addresses. If I toggle to managed mode, then Dell powerconnect 2724 offer info on how many bytes went to / from dissimilar IP addresses over a era of time? If so, when I toggle to managed mode, will the itinerary as it does now, or I have to physically configure every port? I have a group of sites work fine live through the switch, Nevertheless if you reboot the switch in managed mode the sites all be dead until you do some monotonous configuration?

Re: Switching Dell Powerconnect 2724 to managed mode

My exprience-The switch stopped traffic. I tried to reset the switch of the UN managed mode by pressing the button. This did not work. Eventually moved all active cables to open ports on my 2748 and put all the cables unactive in a safety switch slower. I was capable to acquire the switch to reset by holding down the button for 30 seconds. And waited for the management of LED stops flashing. I repeated this until I was capable to cycle through, unmanaged, and again succeeded. I rebooted my laptop and remove all browser history and cache. I log-in to 192.168.2.1. access the web interface of the switch. Default login is user: admin password null. Then transform the IP of our network 10.XXX and click Apply Changes. I also alter the password. Rebooting my laptop to 10.XXX IP and was capable to log-in for change. I set the switch back online.

This is my 1st day management mode. The information provided is not very extensive. There is a "RMON statistics" page that lets you search a port at a time. Aggregate information on everything. You can each port to observe a drop down button. The manual referrals to reflex ports so you will be capable configure a packet sniffer on the port doubled. You should be capable to log traffic for analysis.

I will connect the test port and run in some box in the box wireshark to capture traffic. I have not found a procedure to make wireshark shows me the bytes per IP, and after a particular IP, perceives the bytes from the port / protocol.

Are you saying that all traffic at some point passes through a port? If this is not the case you will not observe the information originally asking. If it was a hub that you could observe all the traffic, Nevertheless switch isolate traffic Between port. That's why you need to either mirror ports or make use of a tap.

Quote Originally Posted by JustM3 View Post
    Are you saying that all traffic at some point passes through a port? If this is not the case you will not observe the information originally asking. If it was a hub that you could observe all the traffic, Nevertheless switch isolate traffic Between port. That's why you need to either mirror ports or make use of a tap.
    Yes, all the traffic coming all the way through a port. I have an e-net drop of my cable provider and my traffic comes all the way through that port and is dispersed through my pictures of the other ports. I just have to reproduce that port.