Thread: Keep getting disconnected from internet when using router.

question Keep getting disconnected from internet when using router.

Ok, i'll try to break down the story best i can with all the details. I have a new D'link DIR-651 router i bought 2 months ago. I use a 10mb high speed cable connection. 2 computers (one with windows xp and the other with windows 7) and a xbox 360 all connected to the router via wire. There is no wireless devies at all and the wireless part of the router is shut off. About a week ago i noticed while playing on the xbox, streaming music, or my wife playing world of warcraft that the entire connection would drop at random times. Lights on both the router and cable modem are normal before, during, and after this happens. It only last for about a second or so but is enough to drop any online game or stop streaming movies. After it happens you can reconnect back or refresh depending on what your doing like normal. Very annoying. It happen many times a day and after watching it for a few days i noticed it would have a pattern....started off with every 30 minutes right not the dot....1:00....1:30...2:00........after talking to manager at the local office for my isp and having them come out and check everything he said the connection was fine. Not what i wanted to hear because i knew something was wrong. I HAVE "YET" TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN ONCE WHILE HAVING THE MODEM CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE COMPUTER OR XBOX, which leads me to think its a router issue. I have power cycled and hard reset the router 3 times and have flashed it firmware to the latest update. Im completely lost and could use some help from anyone that thinks they can tackle this issue.

quick update i left out...the disconnections have become more....random times...over the last day or so
    Last edited by Fallenshadower; 22-11-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: forgot info

Re: Keep getting disconnected from internet when using router.

I figured this would be a hard nut to crack....still not having any luck

Anyone that can help?

Could you first of all tell us how is your signal strength? Is it only disconnecting when you play world of warcraft? If so you may need to unblock some ports for WOW. Have you tried connecting via a wired connection to see if it is just a Wireless issue? Try changing the channel of your wireless network. If it's 12, make it 1. It it's 1, make it 12. If it's 6, pick one of those.

As stated in my first post I "DO NOT" use the wireless part at all and it is completely shut off. Also it will disconnect no matter whats being done....xbox live, world of warcraft, or streaming movies......