Thread: Defragging or Antivirus

Defragging or Antivirus

After become aware of a viruses/antiviruses, defragmentation, security, etc, I resolute it would be a good idea to whip up a brief and trouble-free explanation of why the security rather performance procedures we used to taking on Windows are merely not required in Linux. The two mainly well-asked questions I've seen are antivirus and defragging, so those are the two I'll concentrate on. So exactly I wanted to know what is different between this two terms? I am to say are they correlated somehow? I wanted to know about both the things precisely, I hope will get good result from here. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Defragging or Antivirus

See the terms that you have mentioned in the title is quite different from each other and off course no way related to each other. Because one of the word that’s defragging refers to some activity done by the operating system rather antivirus refers to the program or the software which we need to install in the machine in order to prevent the machine from the virus infection from various known sources. Rather the word defragmentation is a process that reduces the amount of disintegration. It does this by physically systematizing the contents of the mass storage device used to store files into the negligible number of adjacent regions that’s fragments.

you must be thinking as why doesn't Linux need defragmenting same as windows, but here I have quite simple answer for the same as the file system which is actually used by the windows operating system are quite poor in terms of fragmentations and compare to that Linux based file systems are quite good to manage such things. In other words some file systems can undergo deficiently from fragmentation when it comes to windows operating system.

Whereas antivirus is somewhat different thing, which will let you enable to get rid out viruses from the desktop machine with running that utility.

I am agree with the above user as both the processes that you have mentioned is completely different from each other and over here it would be better if you just make yourself clear as what you actually need to know so that we assist you in better way, rather as a reference I would like to recommend you that you should try to visit the Wikipedia for the same in order to get information regarding anything.

I am not getting what you are asking for, assuming as you must be asking as whether running an antivirus can speed up the computer the way defragmentation does?

I would say if you really wanted to get away with all such things then simply you should install LINUX in the machine because Windows viruses will not influence a Linux system. There are incredibly hardly any viruses you have to be anxious about as a Linux user, and your firewall should defend you from them as long as you don't do anything sloppy.

Although there is a much lesser risk of contagion on a Linux system, that doesn't mean you should run around on the web downloading everything you observe with no uncertainty.

OK so guys according to you is it necessary to fragment the file system? And what about antivirus, whether it is necessary to install or not? And I have also heard about the fragmentation utilities as well, so what are those? Do we need to make use of them?

Yeah off course there is some utility called “power defragmenter” which is actually provided by the Microsoft itself, thus I would like to recommend you should try to download it from their official website and if I am not wrong then the version 3.0 released and see I have mentioned some of the good feature that they have include in this version.

• - Simplified Contiguous download and setup almost fully automatic

• - Eliminated Power Mode because of compatibility problems with Windows Vista

• - Introduced Triple Pass mode substituting outdated Power Mode

• - Added capability to defragment detachable drives .

• - Fixed a small number of hitches

• - New Vista kind of graphics

See though I am agree with the above user but still there are so many other that is also considerable such as Disk Defrag and Smart Defrag. Over here I would like to suggest you that you should try to make use of Smart Defrag as with this utility you can speedily examine your hard drive for fragments and sets to work piecing them back mutually. It can defrag numerous drives counting partitions concurrently. It can also optimize file positions and liberate space to obtain the finest performance out of your hard drive, however this process takes a bit longer. The full scan time for my test machine's 75GB hard drive with no optimization took just over 5 minute whereas the other one takes more time compare to this one.

– well, as you have mentioned that is necessary to fragment the HDD, so to the answer to that I would like to say you should try to do that as surely it will help you to increase the speed of your driver concerning fetching data from the site.

I think you should try to visit the Wikipedia for the same, because they have mentioned very good explanation about the same as they have explained the defragmentation regards to each and every file system available.

When I was searching about the same thing at that time I came to know that Hard drive fragmentation is one of the things that can slow down your PC a lot and at that time a defragger brings files that are sprinkled back to the folder they are installed in and this in return helps the computer run a little faster. But over here you must be thinking as How often should I do disk defragmentation, correct? Actually this reliess on how you make use of your computer. According to me Run disk defragmenter only if you notice a performance fall, or once in every one month.