Thread: Cannot search network drives in MAC OS X Lion

Cannot search network drives in MAC OS X Lion

I have installed MAC OS X Lion in my computer and it has started giving me some problems. Now my computer is not able to search the network drives. Before installing the lion in my system I was using the Snow Leopard and at that time I was not facing any issue. What should I do to solve this problem?

Re: Cannot search network drives in MAC OS X Lion

As far as I know Mac always have issue with the NTFS drives and that is why I would like to tell you that if you are using the NTFS file type for their network drive then it is better to use the FAT 32 and after that it will be right away indexed by Spotlight.

According to me you have to check in the privacy option whether your drive is listed there or not. if your drive is listed their then you have t to remove the drive from their and after that your system will able to search the network drive. if you don’t know how to check about the privacy option in your system then you have to follow this steps. First you have to open the system preferences and after opening the system preferences you have to select the spotlight option from the system preferences. now after selecting the spotlight option you have to Privacy and after selecting the Privacy option you have to make sure that your drive is not in it. if it is there then remove it from there and then let me know what the result is. I hope after performing this stapes your problem will get solved.

if above solution does not help you to fix this issue then I think Lion need to re-index the drive and that you have to check in the activity Monitor whether mdworker is running or not. if the mdworker is running then it means indexing is not completed and you have to wait for completing it.

In activity monitor if the mdworker is not running the then you have to force the spotlight to re-index the drive. I have searched on the internet regarding network drive issues in Lion operating system and after spending some hours on the internet I have come to know that by re-indexing the drive this type of problem can get solved and that is why you have to force the spot light to re-index the drive and then your problem will get solved. try this solution and after that let me know what the result is.

I have open the system preferences on my system and then checked in the privacy option and after that I have make sure that my drive was not there and I have also checked about the Firewall setting in my system and there was all the setting was proper regarding the firewall. I don’t know about how to re-index the drive in my system.

Please tell me how to re0-index the drive?

To re-index the drive you have to do according to the following stapes.

• First open the system preferences.
    • select the spotlight.
    • after that select the privacy and then add the drive which you want to re-index.
    • after that exit from the system preferences and then you have quit the session.
    • now you have login in to the session again and then go to the system preferences again.
    • After that select the spotlight again.
    • After that select the privacy option.
    • now remove the drive from there and then check whether it make any difference or not.

As you have mentioned the steps for the re-indexing the drive in your post I have followed that steps and then I have re-indexed the drive and after that my system started detecting the network drivers properly. I really appreciate your help.