Thread: How to use spare PC for a file server on home network?

How to use spare PC for a file server on home network?

I have a spare pc and I have a desire to utilize it for a document server on my home network. All my pc's are wireless and we are consistently downloading videos, music and whatnot which utilize up the hard drives on the pc's. What promote I am searching for is an approach to utilize the spare pc when we download to keep every last trace of the downloaded information so whenever someone would like to play music or look at a video they can do it from spare pc and not have any information utilized on their particular. If you don't mind is this remotely possible to do? Much obliged concerning any convenient serve some useful purpose.

Re: How to use spare PC for a file server on home network?

Consistent with me yes it is possible. Introduce Centos 5.6, Install and Setup Samba offer-utilize Rsync to pull every last trace of the data from your computers and utilize the-u switch to upgrade in a script once a day. You might as well have progressive reinforcements.

Re: How to use spare PC for a file server on home network?

Setting up a file server doesn't need to be muddled. With a couple desktop computers (Kubuntu, Win XP and a testbed, which is as of now running ReactOS) and a laptop (Xubuntu) in utilization at home, our IT is getting to humble office proportions, and similar to a large number of little work places, we run into document offering situations. Companion-to-companion networking is fine when every last traces of the computers are on, but unavoidably it happens that the document I need is on a PC that isn't running. Surprisingly more terrible, it be on my test couch computer that is right now in pieces or undergoing yet a different update. In this way, we require a consistently-on server that any of us can access at whatever time, but in the event that it is constantly on, it should be calm, reliable and inexpensive to run.