Thread: How to put router and switch IPs in DNS?

How to put router and switch IPs in DNS?

Is it true that it is common to make accommodate records in DNS for routers and switches in a venture? I know its really regular in the ISP universe. I don't have much troublesome recalling the IPs for our switches and routers, but as our surroundings develops, I'm thinking over on putting them in DNS for advantage. Not just does it cause when you're attempting to telnet/ssh to one of them, but in the midst of trace tracks you could probably likewise see the particular router/switch that the partition endures (positing that the trace track lives out a SVI that would be in DNS).

Re: How to put router and switch IPs in DNS?

In my company, I'm working to accomplish interface IP locations into DNS. Then, I have a script that surveys every gadget, gets the interface illumination (with IP & SNM) and produces a host's file. I utilize that host’s file on my nearby PCs which has the same impact but is not worldwide.

I work in a somewhat large enterprise now, and we utilize DNS. It makes immensely when you have over 2000 units to keep tabs on.

The just traps are that you need to verify you don't end up being subject to it. It is possible that put a loopback into DNS, or grasps that only being as how the DNS name doesn't work you might still have the capacity to get into the mechanism utilizing an additional IP.

I figure subsequent to I worked at a SP it is simply second environment to me. For client associations, principally T-1s, we utilized an arrangement of clli_code-[rt for router sw for switch prt for inner router psw for inward sw]-router#-slot#-port#-t1#-frac#.domainname.com, ie evvlinlwt-rt-01-s1-0-5-2.domainname.com. I have subsequent to alternate the group but taking a gander at traceroutes to them now it appears as it would be if the entrance non-client routers put the interfaces when the clli code. All the more with a humble number of routers it makes administration more effortless. I never recollected the router/switch IPs but can still recollect the hostnames. Since I take a position where I'll be maintaining an endeavor network you know I will verify the interfaces should be in DNS.

This is what we do for all our layer 3 interfaces, absolutely on etherchannel interfaces betwixt our centers. Since you make PTR records as well as A records, it does make troubleshooting tracking issues a partition more effortless.

I use the format INTERFACE-DEVICE.DOMAIN i.e. PO3-CORE01.MYDOMAIN.COM or VLAN12-HSRP.DIST03.MYDOMAIN.com