Thread: can cisco device be programmed to change the GUI

can cisco device be programmed to change the GUI

I am in my final year of my engg. We some group of friends are creating a project on some n/w related stuffs. My question is that can a cisco be programmed additionally with any of the programming languages like perl, C , C++ , java , bcoz we want to create an GUI for based buttons rather going to command line and telnet. As we know that Cisco in some parts have their own s/w restrictions put still want to know that is it possible to have GUI through any of the programming languages. Your help will be appreciated .

Re: can cisco device be programmed to change the GUI

Cisco provides with some tools that provides you with Security Device Manager (SDM), is an easy web-based device-management tool designed for configuring LAN, WAN, and security features on Cisco IOS software-based routers. There are also other tool like solarwinds which also provide you with the changes but not more advanced.

I think the above one had said correctly but he forgot to mention one more tool of cisco is Cisco Configuration Professional (ccp) is a GUI device management tool which is used for Cisco access routers. It shortens router, intrusion prevention system (IPS), firewall, ,VPN , LAN, and WAN configuration with easy-to-use wizards. The tool also supply some features like # One-click router lockdown .Innovative voice and security auditing capability to check and recommend changes to router configuration. Monitoring of router status and many more. using these tool you can configure yourself. And can also help you with the upper mention tools.

I've used SDM and it was just experiencing bad tool. Then uploaded only CCPexp and was much better and works well you don’t need to go on with java version of programming language. But it still looks the same and you can't configure too many things.

I don't know if you can configure with your GUI using these tools . but I don’t think so its goona further help you in your final year project. Bcoz you have to set GUI button per IP interface and per device. And its take you a lot time to configure with device with buttons. According to me its not gong to help you all around then to try with some of the SDM/CCp tools .

I have used with ccp tools and its worst experiencing working with this tool. I would never recommend for CCP tool. But I don’t know why you want to configure with this complications. What’s the problem using with the command line and telnet.

Don’t know how you people are insisting for working on tools like SDM and CCP.The SDM tool just don’t have nothing good to be part of the CCNA security when trying to get the IPS to work via SDM, via command line IPS works like a dream. When working with SDM, I could go on. The only time I use SDM is to get Site to Site VPN's setup and logging into SDM I can configure more with CLI then SDM. I usually hear that it is because 'no one uses SDM, it’s the CLI only what we use now-a-days.have you evr looked at linksys by Cisco, they were able to create a nice and easy interface. But what about SDM? We have seen only Crashes, problems with Java, not always easy to use

I've been testing out with this new tool named LMS Prime 4.1, the GUI of this tool has a lot of improvement in it,it’s a bit easier to use with but at some point it is still confusing