Thread: Suggestion for Configuring a Tightly Secured Router with Wireless Routers

Suggestion for Configuring a Tightly Secured Router with Wireless Routers

I am having three LinkSys Wireless. I am posting this to get the suggestion from you people about Configuring a Tightly Secured Router with Wireless Routers. I am new with this so it will be good for me to get some suggestion from other people before doing this actually.

Re: Suggestion for Configuring a Tightly Secured Router with Wireless Routers

I would like to tell you that all the changes must be made at the same time as system is connected with the one of the Ethernet ports lying on the router and not through the Wi-Fi. One of the main things that you have to consider that you must click on the "Save Settings" on each web page earlier than going to some other web page if you forget this then you will lose all the changes for that page. One more thing to tell is that the LinkSys router Web Admin pages might utilize the Web-page.

You must en sure that you are well known with the MAC/Physical Address for the Wireless adapter. I assume that you are having the system which is Windows based and if that is the case then you must make use of the "Command Prompt" to issue command "ipconfig /all" to verify the MAC address of the Wireless adapter that you are having as the same time as WiFi connected with the router.

I am having some general suggestion for you and I hope that this will help you.
    • Go to the Administration/Mgmt and from there just change default password as of the Admin to your preferred one.
    • Within the Local Mgmt Access, you will have to disable the HTTP access as well as enable the HTTPS access. Once you are done with that then save the changes and reconnect to the router with the URL https://192.168.1.1 and make sure that you use the httpS vs. http (no S) to make the protected connection on the admin web pages for router.
    • Just disable the Wireless Access within the Local Mgmt Access and for that you will have to make use of the Ethernet port on Router.
    • Disable the Remote Management as well as UPnP from the Remote Mgmt Access.

You must enable the MAC Filtering within the Wireless/WirelessMACFilter and other than this, just allow the computers whose MAC addresses are defined within the MAC Filter List. For these tow variation, you will need registering the MAC/Physical Addresses for each Wireless clients that you approve to connect with your router secured network. Breakdown to register the system's MAC/Physical Address will reject that system entrance to the network even if they encompass the exact AES Pass Phrase as well as SSID.

I think that it is useless to disable the SSID broadcast. Some driveby will still right away notice the access point since it has to send out beacon signals.

According to me, the MAC address filter is none of use and I am saying this because MAC addresses are always in the unencrypted section of the wireless packets. Any attacker will directly get the MAC addresses for your wireless devices. It's completely useless in terms of security and as best causes issues for you. Don't hassle the MAC address filter. It does not put off attacks against the networks because it is simply circumvented.

Any wireless device which needs to unite to non- broadcast SSIDs should actively look for the connection. Since the mobile phones utilize a wireless network whenever feasible it needs to do so to. Your Nokia should attempt to associate to the SSID to root out in case it is in range or not. There is no alternate way to root out in case you are in range or not. But also as you would be able to never know when you are in range the just way to root out is to as often as possible check in case you would be able to unite to your "concealed" SSIDs or not.

Since you run an unsecured lattice then secure the system with pure securitiy. Don't attempt to jumble your unsecured lattice. That won't serve a useful purpose. But also anybody equipped for of ambushing a WPA2/AES secured satellite lattice completely knows how to root out your SSID and the MAC locations.