Thread: how to setup network with a switch

how to setup network with a switch

Hi, knew to this forum. My name is John.

We have 8 computers in our office. This number may or may not increase over the next few years.

We need to get them all connected, urgently.

We have already chosen the storage unit but we are now a bit lost.

The storage unit (ie the server) is comp.1, and all the other computers in the office need to be able to access the external HDD connected via USB to comp.1. We use a combination of winXP and win7 in the office. Data transferred will be anything from large photo's to hundreds of small files at a time (scripts) so speed will be important.

We are looking at getting a switch like this one.

The network I am setting up here is internal and will be completely sealed from the internet. 5 of the computers will never have access to the internet, the other three will be connected to an Ethernet switch box so they can either be on the internet router or on the internal network, but never both (i know this is not what is normally done, however for various reasons [security being one] we have decided it will be best to do this).

The question I suppose is, does anyone know any good easy tutorials i could follow to set our network up with a switch? I spoke to a tech guy on the phone who whizzed through the concept of having to fix ip addresses and direct computers to the correct location or something, but i hung up the phone non the wiser.

Thanks, and i will appreciate any tips or pointers anyone might be able to give.

John

Re: how to setup network with a switch

If you want to have multiple computers connected to a simple switch, you'll need multiple public IP addresses from your ISP. You pay every month for that service, and there's also no guarentee that the IP addresses will all be in the same subnet so you can do file/print sharing. Check out some similar kind of threads which might help you out: How to setup a ethernet switch
    Setting up a Wired LAN Network

Quote Originally Posted by janos™ View Post
    If you want to have multiple computers connected to a simple switch, you'll need multiple public IP addresses from your ISP.
    No the network will be internal and have no access to the internet.

If 8 computers all connect to the switch which has no access to any modem. I guess i'm just asking how easy is it to set up the software to then allow the computers to share information?

Is it just a case of sharing folders in windows?

Well, i think that you will have to buy a modem for same and the new Setup With Switch will be like below:
    Modem<----ethernet------>Switch<---ethernet----->PC
    You modem should assign IP addresses/routes/DNS settings to each PC so it all should work.

Hi,

I've attached a pic of what we are trying to achieve.

Comp1 > 4 can only ever access data from each other, and never reach the internet.

Comp 6 and 7 can either access the internet (through the already configure broadband router) or access the data on either comp1 > 4 via the 'switch'

We are going to try and use the HDD attached to Comp1 as the primary storage, to prevent duplicate files and loss of work.

Is this possible and how easy will it be to set up?

I understand that a router automatically bridges computers together, whereas a switch needs to be told exactly which IP to use (i think that's right)

Thanks,

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that the way you have the switch connected is correct. You will just need to go to control panel - network and sharing centre - then click manage network connections, right click your LAN connection and select properties, then double click TCP/IPV4 properties. Make sure that is set to obtain IP address automatically and the same with the DNS server.