Thread: ADSL Router, How to permit only specific MAC’s

ADSL Router, How to permit only specific MAC’s

I have a problem with my ADSL router and I want to discuss it with you. I am using a 4 port ADSL Router to get access to internet. My modem is configured in PPPoE mode and its user id and password is set in my modem itself. I don’t want that any other laptop, except two laptops of mine, should be able to get internet access from my router. I think I can do this by denying all MAC addresses except the two which are mine. But I don’t know how can I do so? So, if anyone has any idea about it then, please reply.

Re: ADSL Router, How to permit only specific MAC’s

It’s very simple to do. I there should be an option for filtering MAC’s. And to deny access of All other MAC’s other than yours, you have to just enable that option, filtering MAC, and input only those MAC addresses which, you want, should get access to router. After that all MAC’s will be denied from getting access to router except those, whose address you inputted to be allowed.

It will work but I think that it will be pretty useless. It will only increase your headache, as if you will wish to connect any of your phone or tablet then you will again have to add their MAC addresses in the list. And it will not protect your network as, if anyone will hack into your security, then he already be knowing of how past MAC filtering. Hence, it will not worth anything, just hinder yourself.

It’s very simple to do. I there should be an option for filtering MAC’s. And to deny access of All other MAC’s other than yours, you have to just enable that option, filtering MAC, and input only those MAC addresses which, you want, should get access to router. After that all MAC’s will be denied from getting access to router except those, whose address you inputted to be allowed.
    As you said, I set MAC filtering to blocked mode, and I added only one PC’s MAC address to list but I am still able to get access to router with my another Laptop. It means any other can also connect his computer to my router and get access to internet. Why this is so? I think I made some mistake. So I want to clarify two things. First, When adding a MAC of a machine, then what should I enter in the field Source MAC and Destination MAC. And second, What is purpose of filtering MAC in an ADSL router, in case of internet access.
    It will work but I think that it will be pretty useless. It will only increase your headache, as if you will wish to connect any of your phone or tablet then you will again have to add their MAC addresses in the list. And it will not protect your network as, if anyone will hack into your security, then he already be knowing of how past MAC filtering. Hence, it will not worth anything, just hinder yourself.
    If you are saying that MAC filtering is ineffective for denying unauthorized access to my router then I think you must know a more effective way. If it is really so, then can you reply with that solution for me.

I set MAC filtering to blocked mode, and I added only one PC’s MAC address to list
    First change it to Allowed mode, and then Change security to WPA2. And in such cases always use a strong password which is hard to be cracked by others.

As far as I remember, in allowed mode all MAC will get access except those MAC’s with any of the specified rules. And I am not able to guess the intruder so how can fill his MAC address in the table.
    And also, in my case there is no point of WPA2, because My ADSL router model is TPLink TD8810 and it’s a wired modem and has 4 Ethernet ports.

In most of the routers, allowed(permitted) implies that the listed MAC’s will get access and others will not. I think you want to protect other person to get access to your internet connection.