Thread: Which is better between 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz wifi frequency

Which is better between 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz wifi frequency

To upgrade my lan setup, I had decided to get a new wifi router with more higher frequency rate. This will enable me a better data transfer date within less time. While purchasing I found some router defining different types of frequency. Th one is 2.4 Ghz and the other is 5 Ghz. Now I want to know which one should I buy. As 5Ghz is the most higher one, so logically this can be selected. Should I go for 5Ghz. My current router can be of lower frequency

Re: Which is better between 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz wifi frequency

Before buying go through the system requirement. Like for example if you are using a wifi modem which works on 2.4Ghz then your system hardware, that is your receiver, that can be your lan card which connected the router and system has the same kind of frequency. If you are going for a higher one that is 5Ghz then you need a higher card that can identify that frequency or else you will never find any changes between the data transfer rate. Simply our router can be set to 5 but the NIC lack here. Logically you said right that the higher the frequency the higher the data transfer rate. The major difference are that both of them has different channels and the wifi protocol. You can find that by going in detail of specification. For example the lower one has around 3 non-overlapping channels. That router also supports the B, G and N standards or wifi. But a higher frequency offers you more. You get more than 23 non-overlapping channels with A and N Standard support. The GHz refers to the wifi speed. The more frequency you have the higher speed you can use for your network. If you are using this for home network or for single pc usage, then there is no need to go in deep and learn about this modes and channels of communications. Just leave it and go for a 2.4Ghz band. If you are going to setup this on a WAN where a big number of users will access your system, then better get an experts advice.

There are some disadvantages of an 2.4Ghz router. When you are using this on wifi and at that time this wifi interface can be affected by phones and other devices which emits radio frequency. You have to keep away some number of devices away for your network. While a 5Ghz has more channels for communications. But is not recommended for local use. Anyhow you can buy an keep it for future reference.

Most of the routers that you buy work on 2.4Ghz or lower frequency. There are some special type of devices which has an composite support for both. You can set your router over 5Ghz but that also remains limited to your hardware. You need better modes of communication to fully utilize the frequency.