Thread: DDNS fails to update, uses local IP address for file transfer

DDNS fails to update, uses local IP address for file transfer

There is an strange issue I am facing with my setup. This is how my setup works. I have a modem which is connected on the wan. I had a Asus router attached to it. To access my network drive from web I had configured DDNS. But the issue is that, the router takes my local ip address as a reference to the drives. I want them to use the DDNS settings to access drives. I am really confused here, how to deal with this. Thanks in advance.

Re: DDNS fails to update, uses local IP address for file transfer

The router uses the modem to get the ip reference of your device attached over the network. So probably this can be reason behind this issue. The router itself does not has its own modem interface which can tell him, the exact ip reference of the site. It is just an bridge between the network, which provides the interface to data and bandwidth to travel properly amount the network. You might need to go more in detail with the modem settings.

For start, to troubleshoot this issue, you can try using ip sharing mode as the active operation mode. This can be helpful to you. Second thing you have to go in your model settings and check that, it is using the bridge or NAT mode. All settings usually lies inside your modem box itself, where you can configure all. There is no separate settings for the router. I hope your modem is not too old, as this settings will lack in it.

Try reconfiguring your DDNS settings. Check that all needed configuration is enable or not. If possible provide all manual configuration to your devices on the network. Only to those which are facing the issue. The DDNS updates the IP address after some time interval. This is the reason why the settings are lost and the router does not take updates from it. There might be some kind of settings in the console of router.

Does your router supports DDNS. There are some which does not support and I am not really sure about your model. Recently I had configured an Belkin router which has support for configuring DDNS itself from the console. The settings that you had provided to your modem, has to be similar with the router also. So that after that interval of time both of them are updated without much issue.

There are number of issues when you try to configure the DDNS over your wan. That can be due to the limitations of the hardware you are using or because of the complex settings. In my view you can try using a switch to configure your device. But only if you are not having many systems or devices or else the bandwidth will not remain constant. The modem has nothing much to do here.

The translation is System DDNS Dynamic Domain Name. It is a very useful tool when our DSL line has a dynamic addressing, that is, our ISP assigns us to a different public IP each time you log on. Anyhow this issue can be resolved if you can gain a Static IP. Configure your drives over it and you will never face such issue. The only thing will cost here is the charge of static ip.

The router might not be taking the updated ip because of which the it resolves to local ip address. It is necessary to properly bridge the devices on your wan to accept the coming changes. I am not sure, but routers have such update utility which are configured on the same account. Try to check the same. If this services lacks in your router, then you might need to get a proper replacement of that.