Thread: Installing Central Wiring Panel... Need Advice

Installing Central Wiring Panel... Need Advice

Ok maybe someone can give me some advice on this. We are going to rewire our house. The phone company is saying that our lines in the house are the problem for static that we keep experencing on the line. So i decided i'm just going to rewire the phone lines. Then i figured, ok since i'm going to do the phone i might as well wire a network into the house as well.

Ok i have the wiring diagram for the phone lines that i'm doing (Diagram Attached) now i'm trying to figure out how to do the network part. I know in each room we are going to put at two (2) CAT5e Jacks. One for the DVR's that we have in the rooms and then the other as a backup for game system or computers or something in the future. I was told by someone earlier today that i might be able to piggyback the lines together that are in the same jack. Not sure if i want to do it that way or just have each one wired separately. But i know in total we are looking at around 16 total Cat5E ports. What i need to figure out and not sure about is how to get all of the ports connected to the router. The router i'm using only has 5 ports on the back of it.

I've looked at 24 port patch panels. But i'm not entirly sure how those work. So i'm not sure if i need that or not. I know we have ordered about 2000' or wiring, we are using the Cat5e wiring for the phone line as well as the network. So can someone give me a idea as to what i need to do to get this done...

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Installing Central Wiring Panel... Need Advice

What I could really think of is that the central wiring panel first of all should be easily accessible and also be in a place stored that is easily out of sight. It also requires to have good amount of space and enough power to run a great deal of equipment. The best scene would be also to create a dedicated room for your home network and associated equipment. Check the suggestions given on this site for more information.

Re: Installing Central Wiring Panel... Need Advice

Yes the wiring panel is going to go underneath our bar area that in our dining room. We are going to have a cabinet door made to cover up the area once we are done with all of it. The bar isn't very wide, but as for space length wise we have quite a bit to play with. The electrical that is in the bar is where we are going to get out power for the router and all when we are done. I'm not sure what to do on the data part of this though. WE have a 8 port router that i bought that can be hanged. But if i use just that it will only give us 8 rooms to connect at one time, and then if i piggy back it with our wireless router it will give us around 11 ports to plug into so the only thing i know to do would be to piggy back it with another 8 port router. Don't know if there is a better way to do this or not.