Thread: I connect to router but dont get a network address till I reconnect.

I connect to router but dont get a network address till I reconnect.

when I boot up the computer the machine converses with the router but I cannot get on to the internet because the router does not give my adapter a network address.
    I have to disable the connection and reenable it and then it works O.K.

Isn't it supposed to work the first time? Thanks

Windows XP Pro ser pak 3, cable modem, 2 computers hooked to a router.but not in contact with each other. Each can access the internet separately.

LMHOSTS Lookup is enabled and Netbios over TCP is disabled in WINS

Thanks.

Re: I connect to router but dont get a network address till I reconnect.

Can you do an "ipconfig /all" and write down your DNS addresses and post the output for us. Ping those I bet they either don't respond or they are invalid. You can use the 198.6.1.1 as your DNS by changing your TCP/IP properties and test again, should work. If so contact your ISP and get good DNS addresses.

"You can use the 198.6.1.1 as your DNS by changing your TCP/IP properties and test again, should work"

Could you please be more specific about what I should do, I am not familiar with this process. Is 198.6.1.1 a test server somewhere for pinging etc.?? Thanks.

I think that it might be a power saving option on your PC causing this. You can try to access the properties of your NIC from Device manager. Once there you will see the Power management tab and uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". It either seems to a DNS issue or static ip address issue, so contact your ISP for same.

I can't find anything like that in device manager NIC properties. thanks.

I did find this in event viewer but I'm not sure what was happening when this was generated. I will check on next bootup and see.

The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address
    001A70109932 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
    Last edited by thoreau; 06-08-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Can you try to remove the network adapter from device manager and then shutdown. Power down the router and leave both the pc and router off for 20 seconds then power up the router and let it fully come online and then power up the pc and let it get into windows and install the network adapter again with a bit of luck it should get a suitable address from the router. If you're still having trouble I would also look into : finding updated drivers for the network card, checking for newer firmware for the router and verifying the network cable is not damaged.

Thanks for the reply Janos. I have copied and pasted your advice into wordpad and saved it to D drive.Let me tell you what I have just done and give me your opinion O.K.?

I set my firewall to BLOCK when turned off or not working because it goes through just such a period during shut down and boot up.

In other words there is a short time when changing states from running to stopped that the firewall is turned off and the machine is vulnerable from the internet.
    It only takes a second or two to get infected if someone is maintaining an attack looking for an opening.

Anyhow now I leave the internet connection turned on all the time, I have a switch in the line to disconnect instantly if need be, but now I leave it on all the time and when I start the machine now it boots up and is connected to the internet during the boot process I have to check XP firewall now to see what it is doing and also the event viewer to see what it reports after I run a test a couple of time and watch the traffic for hitchhikers I will do the test you suggest, it looks interesting and logical.
    So I will post results here as soon as available. Thanks for your interesting input, can't wait to try it.