Thread: Frequent LAN connection failure between 2 switches

Frequent LAN connection failure between 2 switches

We had our network configuration for a few months and were working well. But now, for no obvious cause, all workstations drop connection to the server and all shares, etc for about 10 seconds every 5 to 10 minutes, but may be less frequent, apparently random .For some bizarre cause, the Internet connection is also misplaced at the similar time. I have discarded the 2 switches in the network, I be able to ping workstations all the way through the building continued without disruption. We have a switch on the position bottom which is linked to the switch on the top floor via cat6 cable to a port 1 Gbps. The server connects to the switch on the ground floor to the other ports of 1 Gbps; every other stations are connected to further ports of 100Mbps. mutually switches are netgear 48port switches. The router is connected to a 100Mbps port. Server also has a phone that is linked to a port 100 Mbps (I will be capable to do well nonstop ping).Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Frequent LAN connection failure between 2 switches

Installing the VLAN, is likely to resolve this, the broadcast domain is very large. VLANS separated from other traffic to give your packages VLAN ID for the machine only within a VLAN can see each other. You have to change your DHCP settings to assign different IP addresses and a bridge that is somewhere on the router. For me now it seems that the storm of packets, either by radio, etc. or loop Arp on the switch somewhere. Check out

If I create VLANs, you must include in each group what resources they can use. For example, if the server is port 1, the router port 2 and port equipment in the group of 3.4 and 5. All these should be in a band right? If I abscond the router and the server should not be proficient to connect to the Internet otherwise access shares on the server? If you have further problem than do reply here .i will reply to your problem unless and until it is solved.

I have to set on the ground floor and seems to work a little better now, the connection to the Internet server and have not been unmoving for about an hour for the reason that it is the best ever so far.
    A VLAN group I have is:
    • IT 02 01 07 37 38 39 49 50

01 is the router, server 07 is the telephone, computers are 37-39, 49 is above the switch 50 is the server. These ports are too detached from the default VLAN that originally has all VLAN ports when not set.

I see a couple of possible suspects:
    • A bad piece of hardware. You say you've removed the switches, but I would like to connect to the same switch that the router and verify that the connection is lost as well.
    • The broadcast / multicast storm, probably caused by a switching circuit. If these switches support STP, then enable it. If they do, then check that there are no loops in the physical topology. Consider that employees keep things clean and tidy by connecting both ends of a cable wall jacks.
    • A duplicate IP: possibly a router, switch or server has the same IP as another device on the network.

I address the problem in a divide and conquer strategy. First, make sure you can reproduce the problem consistently. Then disconnect the uplink on the floor and see if the problem still exists. Then start connecting devices one by one to determine when the problem reoccurs. Definitely start with some accurate measurements. The connection is interrupted .A physical inspection of the network seems feasible with this small network.

I see nothing here to suggest a problem to be solved by VLAN. Quite the contrary. It is best practice to assign IP addresses dynamically. No. Hubs are physical interconnections, while the switches add processors / asics in the mix to allow full-duplex communication and divide collision domains. Whether they are centers have to go. Replace them with switches. Replace router and I hope your all problem will be solved.