Thread: How to find a wireless router IP connected to the LAN switch

How to find a wireless router IP connected to the LAN switch

Hi I am working in IT industry where the wireless router is used to connect the network switch. I am recently hired as the manager in my company so I have to handle the entire network. So that’s why I want some knowledge about this network. Can anyone give me suggestion for how to find the IP address of the wireless router connected to the network switch? Because I want to reset the password of the wireless router. Please give me any suggestion.

Re: How to find a wireless router IP connected to the LAN switch

As you mentioned the wireless router is connected to the switch and that switch will be directly connected to your provider. To find the information you want to know you need to know that is the switch is Cisco or any other and then I can provide you a particular answer. Can you find that what kind of switch you are using? Please give me an idea about that then I will give you a better suggestion.

I can help you to give information about your problem. You can try to find the OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier) for the vendor of your wireless router. After gaining the OUI you can proceed further. After that you have to look in the ARP tables for that OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier). This would give you the IP address. I hope this might be work for you and you gain some information.

You was not mentioned what kind of switch you are using. Therefore I am giving you suggestion about the switch that I know. If you are using a Cisco Catalyst 2950 then you will able to access the switch control panel by typing in the IP of it in your browser. It will show what ports are on/off on your network. And you can also access to the system which handles your network. But I don’t know to find wireless router IP from that.

I can give you an advice to use nmap with O-flag. Then scan the subnet. There can be another solution for your problem is that if you know the port then you can do show mac address table interface fac0/x. after that check lvan it’s a member of, go to the device with the L3 svi and look in the ARP table for that mac show ip ARP vlan inc xxxx.xxxx.xxxx