Thread: Compatibility of IPV6 with Layer 2 Switches

Compatibility of IPV6 with Layer 2 Switches

I'm looking for switches layer 2 which is to be provide the IPV6. This is the most necessary for me because I want to connect the switch onto the network using this IPV6. Recently, I buy the WS-C3524-XL WS-C2950T-24 WS-2948G -GE-TX model based Layer 2 Switch. I need to check its compatibility with the layer 2 switch. Please give me one advise or sign, where or how I could find that I’m looking for? Thanks for any help.

Re: Compatibility of IPV6 with Layer 2 Switches

You know IPV6 affects only layer 3 switches, but I heard that it also could affect layer 2 switches with VLANs. You need to use Cisco 3500 / 2900 layer 2 switches. This is the best compatible with the IPV6 and it will be not give any kind of network collision type of problem. I think you can support IPv6 frames on Cisco layer 2 switches. Then buy this and it will work well without any problem. Then use this and check its compatibility in the network.

On layer-2 switches, you require to seem at the features of this device. The Cisco 3600 series switches have not been any problem with the TCAM and it will store unicast routes. Few of the other features also present with this switch and it will be the MAC addresses, ACL rules etc. it also help to allocate TCAM resources for connectivity purpose. It will not give any kind of compatibility problem with this device.

Pure Layer 2 sense providing valid Ethernet frames. A current list of security advisories, security notices, and security responses for Cisco products is available at official Cisco site. You need to check this and it will be helping you to solve this compatibility problem. Cisco is committed to delivering secure products and it also try to correct all vulnerabilities quickly. If you have a suitable Cisco service contract, Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) engineers offer telephone support.

You need to apply the Cisco Product Identification (CPI) tool for checking this compatibility issue. It helps to set your product serial number earlier than submitting a web or phone request for service. The online TAC Service Request Tool is the fastest way to do this task. Then use this tool and check the compatibility with this and it solve your connectivity problem. Then use it and do the network connection.

Devices at dissimilar layers usually treat VLANs differently but VLAN behavior is a characteristic that an vary for different devices at the same layer. It is based on compliance with the “IPv6 Ready” program, and it will be precise by the IPv6 Forum. Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a version of the Internet Protocol (IP). It helps to transferring data in small packets that are independently routed across networks. Then use this Cisco device and it solves your network problem.

Cisco Marketplace provides a variety of Cisco books, reference guides, documentation, and logo merchandise. In this documentation you will be easily find out the compatibility issue of this kind of devices. I must suggest you that check the device compatibility using this Cisco documentation and it will clear whatever thoughts came into your mind. Cisco Systems also offers customer support services. Then use such help to solve your trouble.