Thread: Need information about physical and logical address.

Need information about physical and logical address.

I have a question about hardware addresses and IP addresses. Either way the hardware addresses (MAC address) are unique in that case, what is the use of IP. If I am communicating on the LAN segment, which is the requirement of intellectual property, no IP address can send a frame to another machine. If possible, how is it possible? Please share your helpful views with me I am waiting for your replies on it. All replies are appreciated thank you.

Re: Need information about physical and logical address.

Hardware addresses are guaranteed to be unique pretty good however not perfect. At any rate, the reason mutually are used is a type of historical legacy, the way popular protocols evolved. Now, it's more often than not just superior to have the flexibility of two dissimilar layers, more physical and restricted, the other more logical and flexible. It would certainly be possible to design a protocol stack that had really only one direction (and in fact, protocol stacks such exist), the combination of physical and logical, but not really in the case of TCP / IP over Ethernet.

Not really going anywhere after being sent to the remote machine. You can use a program called scapy two fictional construct a framework layer and send it somewhere. The target machine is that there was a three-layer header and simply discards it though. Hell, you could even design a protocol and a corresponding client and server that did not use any layer three protocols. If you put your software on two machines on a local network that could communicate back and forth while more than two layers, but the traffic, obviously, could not be defeated, it would not be very useful on networks that age.

Everything is implemented in software. When my students this question I tell them to consider two sessions of open source web browser on your PC. A session of access to a web server on the LAN and only use MAC addresses to communicate. The other session can access a web server via a network interconnection. Your operating system would have to distinguish between frames that contain data in segments L4 and simply frames surround packets surround data segments. How it able to be solved? possibly two dissimilar browser types?

kimsharma Guest

When your PCI device is slotted into a PCI-X slot, it has a physical address. The components of the physical address are as follows:

Function number (0 to 7)

Physical device/slot number on the PCI-X bus (1 or 2)

PCI-X bus number on the host bridge adapter (1 or 2)

Host bridge adapter number (also known as widgets) (12, 13, or 15)

Compute brick slab number (0 or 1)

Compute brick module identification number

PX-brick/IX-brick module identification number

In its place, it intangible from the MAC address toward an IP address is able to be assigned hierarchically. That is, if the IP address assigned on the way to the NIC1 is 8.8.8.8, I am able to send to the router that be acquainted with how to acquire 8.Anything, you can send to the router that knows how to get 8.8. Nothing that can be sent to the router that knows how to get 8.8.8.x, who knows how to get to 8.8.8.8. That is, we assign a logical and controlled topology of the IP addresses at the top of a topology totally random MAC addresses. This concept is essential at what time it comes to the implementation of huge networks.