Thread: How to fix malware manually?

How to fix malware manually?

Weird one today XP system neither IE8 nor Firefox5 would load a web page. IE threw the common page not found error and Firefox was clearly being misdirected to a blank page. The weird part was that Google Chrome worked just fine. There was no phone proxy. I could ping any site I wanted. ESET Smart Security was supposedly working and turning off it's firewall made no difference. POP-mail and other internet access methods (e.g., updating Malware Bytes worked just fine.

Re: How to fix malware manually?

The removal tool malware analysis of Microsoft Windows computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 and helps to remove malware the best known, including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays the list of malware that were detected and removed. Microsoft releases an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month, and every time that incidents related to safety so require.

I exhausted my collection of usual cleanup programs including Malware Bytes and tricks to no avail combo fix did provide a list of recently installed programs which included a pair of earlier noticed questionable items named authz32.exe and jobexec32.exe, both of which were listed in Task Manager's Process list and on further investigation turned out to be the exact same size and installed the same day about when the problem started. There was also a legit filename with 32 tacked on it running as an App_Init DLL and a hidden tmp file of strange name on the desktop. I submitted the pair of no goods to Kaspersky via Google Chrome which site confirmed they were infected (but provided no name.

Version Microsoft Update and Windows Update tool runs in the background and then reports if an infection is found. If you want to use this tool several times a month, choose the version the system gets to function normally. Also use the latest versions of antivirus software to protect your computer against attacks from other malware. To download the latest version of this tool, please visit the Microsoft Download Center. You can also perform an online scan of your computer using the security scanner Windows Live OneCare.

In any even a trip to the XP Recovery Console and a rename of all the above to bad files resulted in IE8 and Firefox now being able to open web pages which ability survived two or three reboots. Been a long while since I used these older by-hand methods to deal with adware/spyware (when it first started to become common and Hijack. This was a new, and very useful, kid on the block. Not this time although I normally would do that. This particular computer owner was the sort that starts to get antsy after an hour or so and was definitely so by the time I was starting on the third hour. I verified the browsers were still working correctly after two separate reboots and left. I'm getting more than enough shop business these days that I'm about ready to retire from onsite service.