Thread: What is the use of LiveKive and Family Safety in AVG 2011?

What is the use of LiveKive and Family Safety in AVG 2011?

Did you notice we have newer AVG 2011? I just updating new one. I am wondering why we need LiveKive and Family Safety? And also we have new Security Toolbar. Can anyone tell me why do we need? I am not expert in it. Please sharer your knowledge and experience with me. As I told earlier I am not familiar with it. So please help me and clear my doubt regarding to it. I am waiting for your all appropriate replies. Thank you.

re: What is the use of LiveKive and Family Safety in AVG 2011?

I don't believe that you need any of the things that you mention. My experience of AVG, especially since the 2011 version arrived, is that it has become a bloatware product that uses too many computers’ resources and in so doing takes away from the performance of the computer. These days I recommend that my customer's ditch AVG and install the (free) Microsoft Security Essentials. This is what I think about it. I hope this will help you thank you.

Hello thank you for your replies. My experience of AVG, especially since the 2011 version arrived, is that it has become a bloatware product that uses too many computers’ resources and in so doing takes away from the performance of the computer. I am wondering too. We all had new AVG 2011 last Dec. 2010. Now AVG are upgrading every few months. They keep on changing. I hate that. Someday I may change if problem rise again. Thank for replying back.

One thing I have noticed about AVG is it has been making core component updates for the past several years aside from the Definitions updates. I rarely get the core component updates and just get the Definitions update. I have also disabled some of the gunk that I really do not need in AVG. Basically only using it for AV and spyware. That helps a bit with performance. My AVG Free 2011 status overview shows that Family Safety, LiveKive, and Security Toolbar are NOT installed and that PC Analyzer is not active. Also, I know that LinkScanner is not installed.

I have AVG 2011 on an XP machine and I have no idea what LiveKive and Family Safety are. Also, I don't use the Security Toolbar as I find them to be pretty much redundant. The one place where they did seem to improve AVG was in scanning speed. It's much faster than it used to be. How well it's scanning may be another matter entirely. I think, however, that Duane is right about AVG. it's just gotten too big and bloated. MSE is probably a better free solution these days.

Re: What is the use of LiveKive and Family Safety in AVG 2011?

The Email scanner is redundant as are the Email scanners of any antivirus product with a real-time component. With the Email scanner active, all message attachments are scanned at the time of receipt of the Email. Without the Email scanner active, then -if- and when you choose to open the attachment to an Email, then the attached file will be scanned by the real-time scanner. The only difference is in the timing of the notification to you that an Email attached file is infected.