Thread: Path change for icon shortcut

Path change for icon shortcut

I have 2 computers such as station 1 and station 2 together networked by a cross over wire. There seems to be an icon on station 2 that is a shortcut to c:\\station1\ursa8 pos\group2.exe. When there is no one using the other computer the icon changes to c:\\station1\\program files\ ursa8 pos\group2.exe. It does not happen usually but sometimes. I use windows Xp operating system. Can anyone tell me what is it?

Re: Path change for icon shortcut

After reading your query that you have posted it seems like there is some electrical disturbance problem due to low voltage, brown out or voltage spike threat which is causing such problems. Just check the electrical appliances by consulting an electrician. Also check the cross over wires. I hope you get valid help from this and your problem gets solved forever.

I don’t think it is electrical disturbance problem. If you still haven’t found any help then, check if the shortcut pointing to a location a networked resource. Also check that the path should not start or begin with “C:” I mean to say the C drive. I would like to let you know that shortcuts to the network location should be through a mapped drive letter. You can use “U:” or UNC conventions such as \\station1\ursa8\group2.exe. Hope it gets solved.

You just do as I recommend. First go to STATION 2 and from there go to My Network places, and then go to the STATION 1. After that, in STATION 1 go to the ursa 8 pos folder. Now create a shortcut of group2.exe. During performing all this drag the group2.exe shortcut onto the STATION 2 desktop. You will notice that it creates the target C:\\station1\usra8 pos\group2.exe. In this way you will create a solid shortcut. If it doesn’t work then someone must have changed the target name shortcut.

To avoid such problems you have to keep in mind some important points. Avoid sharing of entire drive that the Operating System is on. The reason behind this is that it opens the whole slew of big issues due to this shortcut. If you require something to share never share the system drive instead share a folder i.e. the C Drive as you won’t face any issues. Hope this advice helps you.

I have another alternative. Go to C:\Program Files\URSA8 POS and share the URSA8 directory by giving it appropriate permissions instead of sharing with everyone with full writes on the share tab. After that go to the Security tab and adjust NTFS. Put the NTFS permissions to narrow down and then give it a share name such as URSA. Now in workstation click on start then Run and then type in station1 following with OK. This will bring the netview of station 1. After that create an appropriate shortcut such as have \\station1\ursa\group2.exe. You can now share the entire drives if they are additional drives such as E, F etc.