Thread: AVG 2011 using about 40% of CPU in Windows XP

AVG 2011 using about 40% of CPU in Windows XP

I have been using Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3 for a long time. My pc used to work fine till I encountered some virus problems. So, I installed AVG 2011 Antivirus, and scanned my pc to clean it from the virus and malware. It successfully did it, n now my pc works fine again. The only problem I am facing now is that, AVG is slowing down my pc as one of its related process is always running all the time. The combination of “AVGIDSagent.exe”, ”AVGIDSMonitor.exe”, and “avgchsvx.exe” uses about 40% of my CPU, which really slows down my pc. I want to keep the AVG Antivirus to keep my pc free from viruses but at the same time I also want to be able to use it without any lack of speed. So, please suggest me to overcome this problem.

Re: AVG 2011 using about 40% of CPU in Windows XP

I have been using the same version of AVG 2011 Antivirus and am quite satisfied from its performance. So, I will also suggest you to not to remove it, because it is one of the best antivirus for pc usage. According to my knowledge, AVGIDSagent.exe and AVGIDSMonitor.exe are related to new AVG Identity Protection component in AVG 2011 Free. And avgchsvx.exe is related to AVG Cache Server. You can get rid of these just by disabling them. You can disable them by following these steps:
    • Open your AVG Antivirus, and go to Tools Menu.
    • Go to Advanced Settings.
    • Go to Cache Server, and disable all three of them from there.

This will stop AVG from using more pc speed, and will you will be able to use your pc properly with good speed.

This is a common problem faced by fresh users of AVG Antivirus. This problem has many reasons, mainly related to the installation of the antivirus or with any problems related to viruses. So, first I tried to get rid of add-ons. It helped me a little. I also tried to find some latest updates from the internet. It provided some help, but did not entirely solve the problem. So, all I did is that, I uninstalled my AVG Antivirus and rebooted my pc. Then I reinstalled it again. Now my AVG is working properly and also using reasonable amount of CPU speed, hereby allowing my pc to work at good speed. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem and found disabling the Identity Protection fixed it. The downfall however is that AVG says it is not fully protecting my computer. I would rather not use the Identity Protecting and still be able to use my computer than the alternative. And I suppose a patch should be released to fix this problem. So all I did is, after i disabled Identity Protection, I went to Tools, then I went to Advanced settings. Then ignore the faulty conditions. Then, tick 'identity protection'. Now, you won't get the error message again.