Thread: Wireless, Frequency and Range

Wireless, Frequency and Range

Hello friends I need a fair bit of knowledge about the wireless frequency and the range. Can anyone here help me out? Suppose there is a device and it needs to connect to each other point to point without going through the cell towers using the wireless medium than what range should it have? What should be the frequency used? And is this true that lesser the frequency more will be its range and vice versa? Please help me out.

Re: Wireless, Frequency and Range

Hey pal you believe it or not but your antennas play a very crucial role in the wireless network. In case of wireless world lower the frequency lower will be the wavelength and if the wavelength is lowered it will travel much longer distance. But the main thing you should is that these waves get affected by number of things such as climatic conditions, line of sight etc. Line of sight is the distance between the two nodes which are trying to connect each other.

To make a point to point communication between the two devices on the earth high frequency is used. The normal frequency used for the communication is 100 khz to 30 Mhz, they are used for long range communications. And for the line of sight communication even much higher frequency is used i.e VHF / UHF which range in 100’s Mhz and Ghz. From this we come to know that higher the frequency limited is the range.

As you want that your waves should not go through the towers and device should communicate directly than the best technology suited for you is Bluetooth and infrared. They both help you connecting your device directly. Bluetooth uses the 2.4 Ghz frequency range and it ranges within 100 meters. Whereas the frequency for infrared is 300 to 400 thz and wave length is 1mm to .0008mm

I would say that you should go for the low frequency the reason behind this is lower frequency travel beyond the horizon of the earth from where they are reflected back by the ionosphere, Note: ionosphere is the layer from where most of the ways are reflected back to the earth. The reason you should use the low frequency is that it can connect your device even thousands of meter apart. In case of higher frequency the waves get immersed, instead of being getting reflected.