Thread: Getting LUNs single On the VEA

Getting LUNs single On the VEA

Well I am having little bit issue with Microsoft cluster. I have installed Windows Server 2008 SP2. When I have assigned LUN to the same and I have noticed that LUNs are having single path with VEA. However I have noticed that it seems to be dual path with the SUNSurfer I can see there is a dual path. Let me know if you are having specific solution to fix the matter of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Getting LUNs single On the VEA

Well looking at the matter which you have mentioned over here I wanted to ask you something which would be useful to get the requirement of mine. which multipathing software you are talking about? Do you talking about PowerPath or MPIO with the DSM modules? Let me know the answer of the above mentioned question as early as possible so that I can let you know about the possible solution to troubleshoot the matter.

I want to tell you something which would be useful to figure out the root cause of the problem. It is DMP software with the SFW. I have only enabled the DSMs of the storage modules which are present into the SAN. All the packages can be listed as follow.
    • 3PARDATA (V3PARAA)
    • EMC Symmetrix/DMX (VEMCSYMM)
    • EMC Clarion (VEMCCLAR)
    • IBM DS8000/ESS (VIBMAADS)
    • IBM DS6000 (VIBMAP)
    • IBM DS4000/SUN 6000 (VENGAP)
    • IBM DS AP (VIBMAPDS)

Looking at the situation which you have mentioned over here I am want to tell you that you need to select all the DSM modules at the time of the installation. The only thing which you are needed is the storage device which has been attached to the host. It could be possible that the operating system which you have installed on the computer. if the DMP DSM has claimed the device correctly then you should see the path into the VEA gui which located under the DMP DSM tab when the desired hard disk has been selected.

If you are able to trace the LUN through the multiple path into the SanSurfer. If the same number of paths which are not present into the DMP DSM tab then you might be having an issue with the DSM itself. The DSM which you have selected should be claiming the VMAX. In case DMP DSM tab is not available then I am sure that the SFW is not managing the path at all. So you should look carefully and let me know about the same.

I am suggesting following thing which you should try and see whether it is working or not. Well you hav to run vxdmpadm dsminfo harddiskX on console. Here X is the number of the hard disk for the VMAX disk. It would show the DSM which has claimed the disk.
    Now you should run the
    Code:
    vxdmpadm deviceinfo harddiskX
    it would display the number of path on the console.