Thread: Help about Tape Backup by using Nebackup 7.1

Help about Tape Backup by using Nebackup 7.1

Hi,
    I am trying to set flexibly my back up media by using Nebackup 7.1. Right now have around 2TB SAS hard drives which are installed on IBM DS3512. I had more than 40 drives configured in them. I am at first going to use Nebackup 7.1. This will at start help me to take an backup of 8 systems in a week. To adjust the space more comfortably on the storage media I can setup some more weeks for the same. When the second starts the first the backup will be properly moved to the tape for safety. This is what I am practicing and I also have to configure entirely new solution for backup media in a different place.

Re: Help about Tape Backup by using Nebackup 7.1

You can try Normal Disk Staging Storage Unit settings for this. In this you can backup your data to the disk and can also create a duplicate copy of the same on the tape driver. This is all scheduled as per your settings. This is mostly done on the daily basis. So by this there is one thing you can gain is that your data is quickly restored and there is no use of any long term schedule. After an some prescribed time the disk cleanup wipes out the old data whose place is taken by the new one.

There is one more settings you can try. It is Storage Lifecycle policies. Under this you will need to perform Advanced Disk licensing. This help you to create backup and also to create an another place where you can duplicate your data with multiple types of levels assigned. The duplication of the same begins after a short period of time when the backup is completed entirely. So this can be helpful to you to some extent. There is no built in support provided for duplication as per customized settings.

The option of Storage Lifecycle policies is an bit complex process. Here if you want to run backup or duplication procedure as per your own requirements then you will need some scripts which consist of complex bpduplicate sequence. Along with this you will also need to configure the external scheduler so that the process is automated and you do not need to do all things again and again. There is an manual for the same which you can read and refer.

NetBackup Admin Guide

For an new kind of setup there are lots of thing before going for an tape backup media. First is your need. After getting some studies you can determine the volume of data that needs backup and how often the same is needed to run. I will recommend you to first find out how much new data is generated every day or week. This will help you decide if you need a backup daily, weekly or bi-weekly backup backups. Do not just go out and buy the first tape of a backup system that sees. Learn all about hardware, software, and tapes. Advice on how to buy a simple user-friendly configuration.

Choose a tape drive based on your needs. Find out how many megabytes of data to be stored. There are many reliable systems and solutions for Red Mountain, Colorado Memory Systems, Hewlett Packard, etc. Select films that have proven their reliability. Most people recommend 3M, Exabyte, Sony or tapes.This is very important for your data retention and life. It is also recommended to check that warranty and services provided on this.