Thread: Why the desktop is not receiving the full internet connectivity?

Why the desktop is not receiving the full internet connectivity?

Recently only up to 3 MB download speed could be achieved by my desktop. The internet plan that I have taken is 20 MB unlimited. Even if I use the wireless connection I am getting only 3 MB speed. On the other hand the three other desktops in my house are getting 19-20 MB speeds on both wired as well as on the wireless connection. I have tried running anti-virus scan, restarting the router, defragging the hard disk, updating all the drivers in my computer, installing original drivers of the devices, switching the ports, anti malware scans, switching the cables, but still the speed is not increasing. Can anyone tell me what could be causing this problem and how can it be solved?

Re: Why the desktop is not receiving the full internet connectivity?

I would suggest you to trey a clean boot and then check the speed of the internet. A clean boot is done by closing all the programs on the startup that could be done from the system configuration utility. To do that just follow these simple steps: click on the start button, then click on the run, then type MSCONFIG in the text field, then when the window is displayed click on the startup tab, and then click on the hide all Microsoft programs in the lower part of the window this will hide all the systems programs, then click on the disable all button on the lower right of the window. This will disable all the programs starting at the time of the system boot up and if any of these programs is affecting the speed of the computer then it will be stopped.

You have mentioned that there are three other machines in your house and they are giving getting proper speed then I say you to physically move you computer from the current place and take it to the on of the other computers place and connect it to the cable over there an check if you are getting the proper speed over there. And also you have mentioned that you are getting the speed of 20 MB or it is 20 mb, mb = mega bit and MB = mega byte and both have a great difference is it true because here in UK we are getting only maximum speed of 10 MB and compared to which you speed is really fast.

You can flush the DNS to try to increase the speed or to get the proper speed. To do this you will need to follow the following steps: first click on the start button then click on the run button, then type in the cmd command and press the enter button on the keyboard, this will open the dos window on your computers desktop. Here in the dos window type this command: ipconfig /flushdns this will flush the DNS. And you will get confirmation message if the DNS is flushed properly. The message will be ‘windows ip configuration. Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache’. this will confirm that the DNS is successfully flushed and will probably increase the speed of the internet.