Thread: How to see the online computers on the network ?

How to see the online computers on the network ?

Hi, I have pretty small network in my office and I want to just keep track on that computers that is currently activated, I mean to say, which is currently been used, or in other words, currently performing any task. I have experimented with the client task server connection status by the use of a search filter of the activity center of computer section, but didn’t got such solution that helps me. Need suggestion.

re: How to see the online computers on the network ?

I am assuming that you want to see the active connections in your office, isn’t it? See, you can do this by several ways to see this kind of activities. See if you’re running windows XP, first of all open the command prompt and as the window appears, you can write several variations of the command that can be typed in order to get a list of all the active connections in the network.

See, I am not getting what you have done actually, but you can do it simply by the command prompt, and as there are too many command I would say use the netstat command this will shows a list of all current TCP connections and different ports, with both the physical computer name that's the IP address and the host name listed for remote addresses. And long with that you can have their states also, such as waiting, established, etc.

You can have a third party software too, that will keep track on all the workstation in the network, rather you can give the particular rights for each machine and for their users. Thus as soon as you give it, you won’t have to worry about. And I would say this is the right technique to prevent the users from doing what they don’t have to. But the same you can do with the windows itself as it has a capability of doing such a operation.

I am not getting actually what do you mean by the Working or running computers, can i assume that you are talking about the online computers on the internet? or will you please let me know that what do you mean by that? See if concern about the task servers then I would say there is a software called smp 7.1, which will give you the view where you can see the computers which were connected to a task server.

Re: How to see the online computers on the network ?

It is very good functionality of the task server that it is always on, and as you have mentioned that you want to see the running computers, I would say you have to install software packages on clients machine, thus whenever the user gets logged in to that computer, the administrator will have the notification, that the machine is running, in other words, the server machine will get the confirmation that there is a user on remote machine.