Thread: Command Line Update Doesn't Work in AVG antivirus for Linux

Command Line Update Doesn't Work in AVG antivirus for Linux

Just about a month I have started using the ubuntu 10.10 on my computer. As you all might know that the Linux operating system is secured from virus attack. However this was the previous assumption. Nowadays there will not be any guarantee that Linux is safe. Viruses and hacker can break into anything. For that purpose I have installed the AVG 8.5 for my computer. It uses terminal windows for configuration. I tried to update it from there but I couldn’t. it keep telling me that permission is denied. How can I update the program?

Re: Command Line Update Doesn't Work in AVG antivirus for Linux

I don’t think that you need to do any kind of update manually because if you have enabled or the AVG by default enabled the automatic updates then it will do right away when you enable the internet connection. If you have always-connected internet then you don’t need to worry about for the reason that it might have already updated without your concern. Still if you are not able to update and the terminal window does not allow you to do that then make sure that you have login as administrator. Also properly configure the proxy settings.

The AVG in Linux will allow you update by the use of command line (terminal window). One thing you have to make sure that you have used the proper commands. Before that you need to configure the proxy setting present in the Linux and also applied for the AVG by default. Sometime it may also avoid the update. if you don’t know about it then there is a good guide regarding AVG Linux in the pdf format which you can download and use it. That guide contains all the details along with step-by-step configuration with all necessary commands.

You can make use of internal AVG scheduler like follows:
    Export existing virus update to-do list to some temporary file (intended for easier handling):
    Code:
    avgcfgctl | grep UpdateVir.sched > ~/updateschedule.avg
    Now alter the exported ~/updateschedule.avg file and modify the timetable like you desire.
    Import the modified file toward AVG configuration files:
    Code:
    avgcfgctl -w ~/updatesched.avg
    Restart AVG daemons in order to affect the configuration modifications:
    Code:
    avgctl –restart

The AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus intended for Linux/FreeBSD kernel offers complete and
    Reliable security alongside viruses designed for Linux powered systems. It provides numerous aspects, for example scheduled as well as on-demand scanning of folders, files, and ordinary Archive types for achievable virus infectivity. You can furthermore carry out a programmed otherwise on-demand update of your AVG moreover from the Internet otherwise from local update sources.

Dominant unconnected command line components are integrated within each and every one editions of AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus designed for Linux/FreeBSD. You can execute all probable on-demand file system scans and updates by the help of these modules. Anti-virus systems can assurance dependable security on condition that they are updated frequently. AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus for Linux/FreeBSD offers a trustworthy and quick update tune-up with speedy reaction times by the use of avgupd daemon.