Thread: Can I use Symantec Endpoint Virtualization Suite on Windows 7

Can I use Symantec Endpoint Virtualization Suite on Windows 7

I ask for the reason that within our environment (and other Spanish universities) that we are having a lot of problems through virtualized applications on the way to Windows 7 x86. These troubles come into view, on the whole, at what time virtualized applications run through user "normal" (for users without administrator privileges). We have a number of cases open through Symantec support for over a month and have not yet found a solution to our problems. It is known that there is a problem with the management of access permissions (ACLs) on files and the logging level means that "normal" users do not normally have access to these files and the registry at your profile. Development has created an eTrack but still has no product review.

Re: Can I use Symantec Endpoint Virtualization Suite on Windows 7

Hello I am having same question. According to my experience Users can not launch certain applications for failure to assign full control permissions on the HU / branches of the High-level virtual registration for users. Some "big" applications (Office 2007, Acrobat 9.4.x) crashes when working with them. Most times, it crashes when the user performs operations that require access to the files (save, open a document, etc.) When a program crashes, the only solution is to remove the layer and re-imports. The restoration of the layer does not solve something for the reason that the "read only" has been spoiled. Why?

Hi the same question I asked Symantec support center. And I get the following response. We are preparing a Guide to Good Practice for the management of ACL that can be of help to you. To be published shortly in Connect. Looking through appropriate maintenance is also checking whether there is a manifest defects in their environment to be solved soon. The other issues you mention are not detailed enough here to give an adequate response. Please have the support you have all the essential information and the steps to replicate so that we can offer you the support you need and / or program a solution whenever necessary. While we strive to continually improve our products and make them easier to deploy and manage and increase functionality, like all vendors, who have flaws from time to time.

Selvaraj-NNaamchin Guest

The information on ACL is probably not related to the problem we have in our environment. In the last article on ACL Connect is no information on how to change the file / record of things that a normal user can not access. But our problem is with the agent of the creation of registry entries or files under the user profile that does not inherit permissions (i.e., only Administrators and SYSTEM are allowable to have admittance to these things). And the user has troubles similar to hanging applications, explorer with 100% CPU (because it blocks trying to access some registry keys or file), etc.

The most up-to-date news I comprise from support is that development has produced a patch and they're testing earlier than release. We hope this patch solves every part of our troubles and very poor experience that our users are having with the product. Obviously, I have not put all the details of the problems because we are not seeking support in Connect. Just want to make a simple survey with other Connect users to see if any others have experienced the same problems.

We had to totally disable Acrobat in anticipation of a solution is delivered to us, for the reason that through this layer, as the hood of a crash / hang is much higher. So probably the problem is that we want to use "much" of the layers at the same time? Well, try to use virtualization to its fullest extent. We do not like the idea of returning to have all programs installed on the base and the patch in the traditional way is sufficient to have antivirus software agents and a number of non-virtualized on the base?

SP6 does not acceptable the behavior of the MUI Cache. The first time I've contacted Symantec support they provide me the "solution" I previously recognizes: clean layer MUI Cache entries earlier than exporting to users. In addition, they filled an eTrack in support of solving this difficulty within "future releases of the product". We do not be acquainted with which version will be. At this point, you have other support eTrack (do not know the number) to solve our problems with Service Pack 6 (basically, the programs have an erratic behavior, crashes, etc, as it tries to access files and registry keys Incorrect ACL).