Thread: Good Operating System for NAS

Good Operating System for NAS

Hi, I have a small office with 4 nodes, and I am planning to build a NAS, thus for that I am confused, which operating system do I use to install on the server and which one in the client’s machine, thus the server will be pushing HD content to all the 4 computers, and we can run the data backup on the 1 machine. I am planning to have XBMC to push out to my mobile devices remotely. So which operating system will be best suitable for these environment. Need advice.

Re: Good Operating System for NAS

Really I would say, I have seen few people using such a concept while developing network, and really it is very good to see, and I would like to recommend you that you can install the windows 7 on your server machine, as in this you’ll get the better support for sharing the content over network. And if you concern about the security then my recommendation is to install Linux at the server. And on the rest of the machine you can put any of the operating system, I would suggest windows XP, or 7 is also good.

Hey I am not getting what do you mean by pushing? Am I assume it is relating the broadcasting, or simply setting up the NAS? If NAS you will have to decide between FTP and NFS, because if you select the FTP you won’t be able to transfer the media files or I mean to say the huge size files. And if you are comfortable with the Linux than I would suggest you to prefer that only on each of the machine, rather you can have the OS from windows itself.

I would like to suggest you that you should install The Open-E Data Storage Software V6 (DSS V6) is a unified file and block storage management operating system (OS) that provides Network Attached Storage NAS, and Fiber Channel Storage Area Network (SAN) functionality. With its superior performance, security, and scalability you can have a better network environment for your office, additionally it can also provide supports a wide variety of hardware RAID platforms

See as I seen the people using the NAS, always use to use Linux distro only, I would suggest you to install the linux operating system only, where you’ll get the option for security, for back up and synchronization. The problem is regarding the multimedia content only, and as you have mentioned about the XBMC, it is the best solution, this kind of third party software fulfills the basic need, that we can easily get in the windows operating system.