Thread: acer 6930 wifi switch broken

acer 6930 wifi switch broken

I have an Acer Aspire 6930

I know what's my problem, I just don't know the solution as to how to fix it: The WIFI switch on the laptop is broken, so I can't toggle it On. I know the WIFI is fully functionnal and has no problems with it.

I tried to turn it on through Windows Mobility but the box remains grey and I can't turn it on.

I tried downloading the eFramework, but there is only a Windows Vista version which doesn't work with my Windows 7.

How can I turn this **** switch back on without the hardware

Re: acer 6930 wifi switch broken

I can only say that if the sliding switch is not there try going into Acer eNet Management and make sure WLAN is turned on. You can also try to start Windows Mobility Center from the Accessories program group in the Start menu and there you will see if its connected or not connected on top right hand side of pop up screen. Just click to turn wireless on and off.

As I mentionned in my original post, Windows Mobility shows a grey box that won't allow me to turn it on.

I managed to make eFramwork (Acer's crappy management program) work on Win7, but there are no options regarding the WIFI.

As for eNet, I don't see that program in the list of available applications for my model number?

Have you tried to removed the battery and ac adapter and held the power button down for 30 seconds for your laptop. After reseating the battery back in and booting up can you check whether you can get the wifi to work again or not. If everything fails then its best that you take it to a computer hardware vendor shop and ask them to repair the WIFI switch that is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by unidentified View Post
    Have you tried to removed the battery and ac adapter and held the power button down for 30 seconds for your laptop. After reseating the battery back in and booting up can you check whether you can get the wifi to work again or not. If everything fails then its best that you take it to a computer hardware vendor shop and ask them to repair the WIFI switch that is broken.
    No dice... I can fix it myself, it just means I have to buy a new board, which I was trying to dodge. I guess I don't have any other options at this point.

I just think it's ridiculous that it can't be turned on via software. I'm sure there is a solution but I just can't find it and it "angers" me.

Thanks for the help

How old is your laptop, and if it was not a physical damage then you can surely get a replacement for the laptop if it is under warranty. I had a similar case with my Hp laptop and I got a replacement wireless card from HP but that didn't change anything. The problem was actually with the motherboard. I sent my laptop back to HP and they changed it and now the wireless is working again.

Its 2 years old - Warranty is long gone on it.

The problem is actually the FCC Connector which juices up the panel board including a volume control and the enabling of the WIFI, among other things.

I recently opened the laptop to replace the keyboard and 'broke' / lost the connector in the process. I don't know where to find/buy such a small piece. But I've seen on Evil-Bay that I can buy the whole panel board for about 40 $.

Since I'm a student, I'm looking at all the possibilities to skip an extra 40 $ expenditures.. lol

Can you follow the steps in this article and see if it resolves the issue for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;814123

Basically, we have to disconnect from a network if the client is set to do 802.1x and authentication doesn't succeed (we use the rule that if you set it, then you REALLY wanted to authenticate using 802.1x).

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil6 View Post
    Can you follow the steps in this article and see if it resolves the issue for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;814123

Basically, we have to disconnect from a network if the client is set to do 802.1x and authentication doesn't succeed (we use the rule that if you set it, then you REALLY wanted to authenticate using 802.1x).
    I can't connect to any network, I can't even see any that are in range (and I'm well aware that their are over 5 in my area...

I'm wondering if the same thing happened to mine. When your "switch broke", would the icon still flash on the screen with a red line through it whenever you attempted to turn it on?