Thread: Which is suitable location for SFTP Server - internal network or DMZ?

Mykola Guest

Which is suitable location for SFTP Server - internal network or DMZ?

I have SFTP servers and want to establish it into network. Currently tow network present in our organization. They are DMZ and internal network. Now I want to insert the SFTP sever in one of this network. But I am not decided that which better suitable network is for this SFTP server. I ‘m interested to know people’s views about this topic. Please help me to understand the advantage and disadvantage of this server within the both network. Any type of help will be appreciates.

Re: Which is suitable location for SFTP Server - internal network or DMZ?

The SFTP is a Secure FTP that is Secure File Transfer protocol. This is one of the servers which provide the file access, file transfer, and file management functionality over any reliable data stream. There are not nay fix reason behind that the DMZ or intranet is suitable for the Secure FTP but I must say that for security reason the intranet is suitable. In intranet is not mainly involved internet connectivity and hence there will be lot of chances increase to secure the network.

The internal network also called as intranet which helps to securely share any part of an organization's information. This is specially designed for the internal connectivity purpose and most of the time it does not gives any kind of security issue. one of the main reason behind that is to be there is no external connectivity present in this network normally and hence no one external user can be access the information of the network. This is most secure network.

DMZ which is stands for demilitarized zone and it is a physical or logical subnetwork. Actually this is the organizational network that contains larger untrusted network, usually the Internet. In this network there will be more number of chances to infect the network to the external users. Normally people use the internal network for the security purpose. But the DMZ also provides the FTP services. So, for there is no compatibility issue presents in this DMZ and the SFTP server.

I am not satisfied your reply that the DMZ is not suitable. I think the DMZ provides the server to connect with the external world and there should be possibility that we can secure this DMZ network. DMZ helps the router to connect to the external world. Then you can use some data protecting technology over that point and it help to secure the network. The more importantly this DMZ can provide the opportunity to share file or data on all over the world.

Hey dude, I recommended you to choose the DMZ for the SFTP server. This SFTP server will provide you the best way to secure the data transferring facility. This SFTP server have the inbuilt facility which provide the securely transfer the file from source to the destination. This will also allow connecting network to the internet. Then just use the DMZ network and it helps you to provide the secure connection. This is the most suitable connections for STFP server.

I do not prefer you any one of between this two networks. Both networks have able to share the data securely and both have use the different technique to provide the data sharing facility. The Secure FTP server has capable to provide the security but the DMZ has suitable for the all over data sharing. The intranet is suitable for the internal sharing. Then the choice is yours and you have to decide that which the best network is for SFTP server.

Are you looking for a solution or still designing the data flow? DO NOT put any computers that handle any information or login credentials in the DMZ (see PCI reference below). My company uses a set of products from Linoma Software for all our ETL and secure file transfer between servers at different offices. We have our main location that runs on IBM DB2 and a company we bought that runs on Windows and Oracle. The GoAnywhere Director application sits in the private network and does the database extraction on both the DB2 and Oracle and writes out XML and CSV, which is handy for cross-platform interaction. Then we use their GoAnywhere Gateway product to create the network mask in the DMZ when we are doing secure SFTP between the two locations. It's really slick. We passed a PCI audit/penetration test with this software.
    Last edited by asharpe; 30-11-2011 at 03:32 AM.