Thread: Encryption of file before passing it over FTP.

Encryption of file before passing it over FTP.

Hello everyone, guys i need your help on firewall settings. Whenever i have posted any query on this site i got the instant replies i am expecting the same again. For my company we are looking to encrypt a file before FTPing it to the other external party. We are thinking to use GNUPG or the PGP. So guys please help me because we need to set it as soon as possible. And if possible please give the explanation in detail, please help.

Re: Encryption of file before passing it over FTP.

First of all thanks mate for posting this query because I am also looking for the same thing. I want to encrypt the file before passing it through the FTP. Guys without installing the GNUPG on the server, is it possible to use the GNUPG as a standalone product? if not possible can we do it with the PGP? And instead of using the FTP if we use the SFTP will work for us to achieve the same result? Please help us out, share if you have any suggestions or solution.

Everyone knows that simple File Transfer Protocol is unsecured where as the SFTP that means SSH File Transfer Protocol which a secure way to transfer files. However SFTP will only secure the file on the transit but not on the server site and the client who downloads it. So if you need a secure way to transfer the file then SFTP is afe but still it depends on your need where and how you want to secure the file.

I think you have to install the GNUPG on the server also because it saves keys on the server database so you have to install it on the server also. Well i think you should only use the SFTP it will give you the same protection. And you can use a public/private key pair with the SSH for the better security on the server. that’s what i doing on my server and it’s working really very well for me, hope it will do the same task on your system too.