Thread: Explaining ports, Sockets and Connections

Explaining ports, Sockets and Connections

hello I want to know about the ports, Sockets. Can anyone provide me about its information. I want to know many things about it as soon as possible. Because I have to give presentation on it in the next few days. It’s a College’s project so it does counted in my annual grades. Anyone who is ready to explain and provide proper answers about the particular topics are welcomed. Hope I do have people present here who could give me the give me right explanations.

Re: Explaining ports, Sockets and Connections

When two processes are wanting to share data, they need some medium to transmit the data on. There are different types of inter-process communication (IPC) mechanisms available, few are only applicable when the two are on the same machine, some are applicable for the general case, which includes named pipes and sockets. I would like if someone else is willing to give me much depth knowledge about this thing, As I am new to this thing.

I would like to explain you about this concept. Well first of all, A socket being a IPC mechanism. It is an o.s resource which serves to make two processes communicate with each other . The processes might be in the same machine.
    From the point of view of a process, a socket is a black box, whose functioning is much like a kind of "special file". The process would write data to it, and the data will be sent to the other side - it will end up on the socket of the other process, ready for reading.

Some further clarification, processes do sort of share a single port for connection establishment and sometimes even communication. Linux's Inetd is a example of an implementation , I am not hundred percent sure, but TCP-wrappers would serve as another example. A portmapper , which is commonly utilised by RPC-implementations. Its right that solitary service is bound to a single port, however there’s not anything that keeps service for multiplexing some more services.

Absolutely True, a given socket can be associated with just one process, so nothing can stop that process from doing what it wants by the data it receives from the socket. In general, there is nothing stopping the process from resending the data, to the console, to a file, or to another socket. anything specific to sockets, any process will of course do whatever it was meant to do with its input and output. For an example take ,what application-level proxy’s and port redirectors do.