Thread: Unable to Audit removable media

Unable to Audit removable media

Hello friends, I am facing some problem in my office, as I am the network administrator, there is lots of PC are connected with many servers and I am the only person who handle this, that’s the reason many people in office are writing data from CD-ROM and USB drives. So I am looking out for software to log access to removable media like CD-ROM and USB. I just want to track what files users are writing to these drives with detail information. There are 90 clients, with mixture of Windows Vista and XP SP3; there are 5 servers with Windows server 2003. Guys please reply to this post.

Re: Unable to Audit removable media

Hey I have gone through to your problem and I can understand that how much pressure you are having at this situation. After reading your question I can say that there is one third party software which can help you in this situation. PGP Endpoint, this is the name of that software, it is a Data Loss Prevention suite which will help you to control access to removable media. Also it will help you to monitor data transfer, and it will give you detail info with file name and IP of the client PC. Just install this software and fix your error.

Hello friend I was in same situation as you are right now. I have also listened a lot from higher management, after that I decided to install third party software for to restrict user from accessing removable media like CD-ROM and USB. I just downloaded BackTrakPro software and installed on my entire server. After that I restricted the user to use removable media. And also it was helping me with the detail information about the data which are being written by users on removable media. So you can also try this software also.

Hello I have read your question, and being a good adviser I will suggest you, that not to use above mentioned software. I am not telling you that these are wrong and won’t work; this kind of third party software should be the last option. As I am a system developer, according to me you can also do this without any software. You just have to setting in File System Filter driver. This will help you to achieve your goal. Above mentioned software are true but third party software can harm your server. All the Best!

Hey man, I am completely agreed with the above post, and I addition I have some important information about the file system filter driver and data recovery utility. Data recovery utility restores the files which are being deleted in formatting removable drives. Removable media file restoration can also recover damaged or corrupted files. USB digital media data recovery software also retrieves missing video and audio files. So using this software you can monitor, restrict and recover the file which being written on removable media drives.

Hello friends, I am also using Removable media file restoration utility in my office, and I wanted to add more information on it. This software rescues lost files such as xls, ppt, html, txt etc. and you will not believe that Removable media recovery software restores that files which are not detected in SD card. Using this software you can have more detailed information about data access and format. So just go with it and use it, it will solve your problem forever. All the best and do me reply if you solve your problem.