Thread: Which is the best IDS that I can go for

Which is the best IDS that I can go for

I am very much in need of a good IDS but I am not very sure with which one I should go ahead with. So I just want to know that can you recommend me a good IPS/IDS appliance for business use? Even I had searched a lot to find out that which is the best one and I came to know that Snort is fantastic. However, does anyone have an actual appliance that is pre-built that they can recommend? Please do get back to me on this as I am waiting for the solutions.

Re: Which is the best IDS that I can go for

What I feel is that this is a very good thing that you are going ahead with the IDS as that is certainly very important now a days. There have been new technologies that have been coming up and they just add to the complexity of your job.But I guess that the systems such as this one just lowers down this problems. And the number and type of applications and systems are increasing at the rapid pace and hence to tackle then this seems to be the best options.

I just had a look at the question that you have put up and I would say that there have been some options in the market with which you can go ahead with. I would tell you that I know that a lot of the firewall manufacturers that have IPS/IDS which is actually built-in in them. So this is a kind of option with which you can go ahead and then the issue will be resolved.Or of you go further then you can use then through a add-in card.So these are some of the options with you right now.

Thanks a lot for the solutions that you have provided and I would say that I am really happy with the solutions that you have provided. I have just went through them and I will work on them immediately.Even i have searched for some of the IDS but I didn’t find many good options.But as you said the firewall itself has the IDS in it seems to useful for me.Also if there are any other options other than this then d get back to me immediately.

Looking at the question you said that you had checked out that Snort is fantastic .So my question is that why are you not going ahead with that one. Also what about the IDS appliance that are sold by sourcefire.I guess that it is the same company that maintains snort and hence the will provide you with some better options which will be very useful for you. I would say that they are really good and if you are familiar with snort then you can definitely go ahead with them .But you just need to check out the cost of it as it may be a constraint for you.

Thanks a lot for the solutions that you provided as I worked on them the same way as you said and the problem just diminished quickly . I did follow the same instructions that were present over there and the problem just went away. I would also say that these solutions should be used by all the people who are facing a similar problem. So finally I would like to thank you all for the solutions that you have provided and would say that this had really helped me to solve the problem.