Thread: How to block download from internet on VLAN network

How to block download from internet on VLAN network

Hello to all my friends on this forum. I was having one problem form many days, I am not able know that who is downloading too many file from the internet on my VLAN network of my office. Even I tried to block the download but I didn’t get success in it. I tried to monitor internet usage and activity, but in that also I didn’t get success. So my question that, is there anyone who can recommend me any software or internet policy which can help me for this matter? Please guys reply soon, its urgent please HELP me!

Re: How to block download from internet on VLAN network

Hello friend, just don’t worry in this matter, it is not that big issue, but there should be security for this, when I was suffering from the same issue, I was searching on internet and I got Active Wall software. May be you can also use this software on your server for network monitoring. Also it will show you proper usage internet on you network with detailed information and you will be able to block downloads in http module, which is one of the feature of this software. So just try and do me reply that it has worked for you or not.

Hey friend, I have seen your problem and I am completely agreed with the above post, but installing third party software on server, I don’t think it is worth to do that, as per my solution just keep Active Wall as a last option. And to solve your problem for the time being, install a content filtering proxy and allow all internet access only through it. Keep in mind that it will solve your problem for the time being, but if you use it properly you will not have problem. Just check the IP addresses properly and filter it properly. All the Best!

Hello, I also wanted to share some more information and my experience with the same issue. I was also having the same issue, even in my network I was not able to understand the downloading limit, my internet bill was increasing month by month and I was stuck very badly in my issue. After that I asked my friend about it and he told me that Wfilter might help you. After that I bought Wfilter software and I got through to my problem. Wfiler have many features as mention in above post for Active Wall. You have many options and you can use anyone you want. All the Best!

Hi friend, I have an alternative solution for you, before using any third party software. You just need a web gateway which will be able to integrate with your user database. This web gateway will help you to block certain users from certain websites which allow downloading of large file. Also you will be able to monitor, that which user visited which website, accordingly you can block them. You can also invest in a gateway firewall that goes similar filtering and can also block certain applications from getting out to the internet as well. So just try this and fix your problem.

Hey thanks friends, I am glad that I have got too many options with help of you all. Now you all have made me more confuse that which option should be use for this matter. I am thinking that instead of using third party software, I will rather go with internal policies. I have planned to invest in web gateway firewall for this case. If any of this option doesn’t works for me then I will go with any of the above third party software. Thanks a lot again for such wonderful solution with detail information.